PDA

View Full Version : Taken


SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum


Pages : [1] 2

Stewart
December 14th, 2002, 11:25 PM
I watched every single episode of this frankly enthralling mini-series, I couldn't get enough of it. It was incredibly well made and the story just seems to climax every episode. I couldn't get it off my mind and was very thankful for the twenty hour marathon on the Sci-Fi channel that played all ten episodes. Has anyone else been watching this?

Cephus
December 24th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Stewart
I watched every single episode of this frankly enthralling mini-series, I couldn't get enough of it. It was incredibly well made and the story just seems to climax every episode. I couldn't get it off my mind and was very thankful for the twenty hour marathon on the Sci-Fi channel that played all ten episodes. Has anyone else been watching this?

Exactly what was enthralling about it? It was an utter waste of time, wasn't remotely SF, had far too many commercials, plot holes, bad writing, etc.

Sorry, it was about the worst thing I've sat through in my life.

Richardb
December 26th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Cephus


Exactly what was enthralling about it? It was an utter waste of time, wasn't remotely SF, had far too many commercials, plot holes, bad writing, etc.

Sorry, it was about the worst thing I've sat through in my life.

Tell us how you really feel;)

Now I wish I had watched this to figure out how it can be so riveting, and yet so bad...

Cephus
December 26th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Richardb
Now I wish I had watched this to figure out how it can be so riveting, and yet so bad...

It was like a train wreck. You want to look away, but you can't. I just kept figuring it *HAD* to get better, there had to be some reason they wasted $40 million on this hunk of monkey dung, but in the end, it was just a waste of 20 hours of my life.

Stewart
December 26th, 2002, 10:34 PM
I thought it was quite well done. It took the time tested formula of aliens abducting humans and gave it an interesting logical plot. Granted it isn't for the type looking for slam bang action but I found it very interesting. My favorite part was the contrast between the three families. The Clarkes whose abduction experiences gave them joy and happiness, the Keyes whose were given nothing but pain and suffering and the Crawfords who remained the very vigilant if narrowminded military family trying to "protect" the world from the "threat." It followed these tree families through 60 years of history and while admittedly I found some parts quite long and dull I thought it was very enjoyable.

Cephus
December 27th, 2002, 03:12 AM
(SPOILERS WITHIN)


Originally posted by Stewart
I thought it was quite well done. It took the time tested formula of aliens abducting humans and gave it an interesting logical plot. Granted it isn't for the type looking for slam bang action but I found it very interesting. My favorite part was the contrast between the three families. The Clarkes whose abduction experiences gave them joy and happiness, the Keyes whose were given nothing but pain and suffering and the Crawfords who remained the very vigilant if narrowminded military family trying to "protect" the world from the "threat." It followed these tree families through 60 years of history and while admittedly I found some parts quite long and dull I thought it was very enjoyable.

There was logic in the show? Where? It has plot holes big enough to fly an alien mothership through.

The families were annoying. There wasn't one character in the whole thing that was worthwhile, they were all slimeballs.

The Crawfords were psychotic. Owen Crawford never gave a damn about anyone in his life and used EVERYONE. Eric killed his own brother, then just sat there while his father died. Mary, keeping the tradition, had her own father killed, shot the man she supposedly loved in the back, and was even more of a manipulator than Owen. The only bad part, we never got to see any of them get what was truly coming to them.

The Clarks were no better. Grandma Clark, wonderful, moral person that she was, waited a whole 2 days before cheating on her husband with some guy she found in the barn. That's all well and good, since she does it AGAIN with Owen Crawford just a few years later. It apparently runs in the family, as Becky hops into bed with Eric Crawford, after knowing him for less than a day.

The Keyes are still no better. You've got the father, who just walks away from his family one day and never bothers to let them know he's not coming back, not until years later when he goes and abducts his son. Oh yeah, we have a real winner here, don't we?

So, we've got the psychos, the sluts and the idiots. Why should I care about *ANY* of them?

If all you were looking for was a badly-done soap opera, it was okay, I guess. Kind of like General Hospital, co-starring E.T., but that was about it.

There was no reason to follow three families through 60 years of history, except to waste time and pad the series. So much of it had nothing whatsoever to do with the story. Did you need to spend hours showing Owen Crawford was a slimeball? No, that was established very early on, yet they went to great trouble to show him killing people and generally being someone I very much wanted to see fed into a meat grinder. Of course, I was denied
that, he got away scot free with all of his crimes.

What's worse, most of the story was so ham-handed that a brain-dead weasel could see what was coming up next. I predicted the end of the show DAYS beforehand. There were no twists, this was Close Encounters meets E.T. told very badly.

The worst part of it is that nothing was accomplished. Nothing changes. Other than the people who Allie caused to lose their pachinko balls, the abductions are still not going to stop. The aliens never learned a thing in 60 years. Chances are, Allie became a human flambe and was promptly devoured when she got into the ship. We never found out WHY the aliens were doing what they were doing (they're here to find out why we ACT like we do, yet perform bizarre medical experiments and breed humans. What does that accomplish that just ASKING doesn't?)

Stewart
December 27th, 2002, 09:45 PM
The Crawfords were psychotic because the lust for power and the alien conspiracies consumed their very humanity.

Grandma Clark didn't exactly hop into bed with the stranger, her husband was a dillhole and the stranger pointed out her pains and soothed them before she fell for him. Her daughter made the same mistake of marrying a loser guy and would have run off with Crawford had she not had an inkling of responsibility towards her children and mistrust towards Crawford.

Randall Keyes left his family because he hoped he could keep the aliens from them. A pretty noble gesture I thought to sacrifice his happiness and eventually his life for the welfare of his loved ones.

They explained in one episode why the aliens started everything, perhaps you missed it and the reason they didn't say what happened to Allie is because it ends there. They could've gone on for another twenty hours of television time covering what happens to Allie afterwards but I have a feeling that you who seemed devoid of any ability to change the channel to a program more to your liking would have despised those episodes as well. Oh well, I guess the Sci-Fi Channel can't win em' all.

Cephus
December 28th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Stewart
The Crawfords were psychotic because the lust for power and the alien conspiracies consumed their very humanity.


Sorry, but no. Owen was using his "You are the sun and moon to me" line long before he had any contact with aliens or anything else. He killed his first girlfriend so she wouldn't get in the way of his climb to power, which frankly, he was never all that powerful anyhow. He got thrown out of his own department.


Grandma Clark didn't exactly hop into bed with the stranger, her husband was a dillhole and the stranger pointed out her pains and soothed them before she fell for him. Her daughter made the same mistake of marrying a loser guy and would have run off with Crawford had she not had an inkling of responsibility towards her children and mistrust towards Crawford.

Regardless, she still did a lot of bedhopping. Anyone ever hear of DIVORCE? Apparently not in the Clark family. And Grandma Clark's husband wasn't too bright, he didn't notice that Jacob was conceived while he was away. Same with Becky. I guess nobody was bright enough to solve their own problems, or at least have a RELATIONSHIP before they screwed around. I mean, they only had 20 hours to show this nonsense, it isn't like they were hurting for time.


Randall Keyes left his family because he hoped he could keep the aliens from them. A pretty noble gesture I thought to sacrifice his happiness and eventually his life for the welfare of his loved ones.

What, never heard of a telephone? Couldn't have CALLED them and let them know what was going on? He abandoned his family. I don't see that as noble, do you?


They explained in one episode why the aliens started everything, perhaps you missed it and the reason they didn't say what happened to Allie is because it ends there. They could've gone on for another twenty hours of television time covering what happens to Allie afterwards but I have a feeling that you who seemed devoid of any ability to change the channel to a program more to your liking would have despised those episodes as well. Oh well, I guess the Sci-Fi Channel can't win em' all.

No, I saw it. They explained that the aliens were idiots and didn't understand why humans acted the way they did. Instead of having an advanced alien race, we had a bunch of green guys who need therapy.

They went to a lot of trouble to establish that humans DIE in the spaceships. Allie, even if 1/8th alien, is still 7/8ths human and would be dead in an hour.

Yes, I wish I had changed the channel, but I figured that Sci-Fi couldn't have wasted $40 million for THAT, it just HAD to get better.

Too bad it never did.

Keyoke
December 28th, 2002, 01:03 PM
I would like to remind you that you should be using the (SPOILER WARNING) in your messages. I, for one, have not seen 'Taken', and you had many plot lines in your posts. I added one SPOILER warning into a post.


Keyoke

Cephus
December 28th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Keyoke
I would like to remind you that you should be using the (SPOILER WARNING) in your messages. I, for one, have not seen 'Taken', and you had many plot lines in your posts. I added one SPOILER warning into a post.

Sorry, but I'd think that most people who were interested in not having the show spoiled would know better than to read related threads.