View Full Version : Fantasy Webzines

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Sephronel
December 16th, 2002, 04:33 AM
On a thread in another fantasy writing forum, I noticed that a lot of writers seemed to feel quite strongly about submitting to no-pay electronic markets. As those are only the opinions of one forum, I am rather curious to know how the writers of THIS forum feel about the issue.

Would you submit to a no-pay e-zine? (why/why not)

And more generally:
If you have written a story and you were going to submit it to an ezine, how do you decide which one to send it to?

Oh and if anyone's interested in the thread I originally referred to, here it is:
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=q8aouus42krurdmn7765p0b0f2avf5bs70%404ax.c om&prev=/groups%3Fdq%3D%26num%3D25%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3 DUTF-8%26group%3Drec.arts.sf.composition%26start%3D50

milamber_reborn
December 17th, 2002, 12:54 AM
If you're serious about getting published, submit to paying zines. If all of your stories get rejected by multiple zines, then mayeb forget about getting paid.

Sephronel
December 17th, 2002, 12:54 PM
So do you consider a no-pay ezine not to be a serious publication?

I guess my question is, is the objection to no-pay ezines due to its quality? or the pay?

p.s. I apologize for the apalling awkwardness of the grammar in this post. I can't seem to form sentences this morning :p, and I've been at this for 15 minutes.

milamber_reborn
December 17th, 2002, 11:35 PM
The paying zines are generally more well-regarded, and payment is a good thing. If you are doing it for more than personal pride, aim for the top. If they think you're not good enough, try the lesser zines and online avenues.

juzzza
December 23rd, 2002, 05:19 AM
I think it depends what you are looking for.

You won't make a living (or a very good one) by getting short stories published in any form of zine. A lot of the Fantasy printed mags still only pay in contributor's copies.

I submit shorts for one purpose only at the moment, and that is publish credits. My query letter to agents and publishers looks a whole lot better by quoting zines where my work has appeared.

I found web zines a great place for getting feedback from like-minded individuals and one web zine Dragon Soup, even paid me $17 Canadian for my work!!!

As a writer, I don't think you can beat holding a shiny printed magazine in your hand that features your own work... Shudder, goosebump stuff. :D

Shanoncia
December 23rd, 2002, 09:52 AM
I realy agree with you on this one Juzzza. I've had some things published too, and the most I got was 25 dollars CA, and my own copy, but my own copy is what I really cherish. :)

milamber_reborn
December 23rd, 2002, 11:33 PM
Zines are good stepping stones, and a good place to get some recognition. Then you can try to get novels published with something noteworthy on your cover letter.

The zines I'm submitting to, you receive a minimum of (Aus$20 per 1000 words), but they're the top zines. I'm serious about starting a writing career, so I'm submitting to the big zines here in Australia. If they all reject every story, then I'll settle for low paying zines.

Sephronel
December 26th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Wow, which zines/magazines were you guys published in??

*Sephronel still an aspiring writer :p, and is much excited by any mention of acceptances*

juzzza
December 27th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Dragon Soup
Literary Choice
Here & Now
Legend

And in May a crime anthology available from Amazon et el apparently.

Shanoncia
December 28th, 2002, 11:49 AM
That's great Juzzz... I didn't know you had been in so many zines. :) Of course though after reading some of your work, I should have known... you truely are a talented writer, some one to look up to. :)