PDA

View Full Version : what if bruce lee didn't die?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Asraloth
December 21st, 2002, 11:19 PM
that is, so young, i mean.

imagine how big of a star he might have been and the great movies.

plus, if he survived long enough, we would be spared martial arts charlatens like van damme and steven seagal.

this was just on my mind since i just rented a bruce lee documentary.

he was so good. i'd probably say the greatest martial artist the world had ever seen.

too bad he died.

milamber_reborn
December 22nd, 2002, 10:46 PM
Indeed he's a one of a kind legend. I love watching Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

kahnovitch
December 23rd, 2002, 02:53 PM
Too true. I saw an old comedy/kung-fu flick called "Mr Vampire" and when I watched the bonus DVD it's had an interview with Sammo Hung (Martial Law/ various "Jacky" movies) and despite the fact it was a memorial for the star of "Mr Vampire" ( I've forgotten his name). Samo talked about Bruce saying that people often appraoched him to test him etc.
To summarise Samo said he'd never seen anyone as fast and powerful as Bruce Lee and he's worked with Jacky Chan, Yuen Biao and most of the big names around today.

If Bruce had survived I doubt the likes of Jet Li (who is still quite a class act) would get a look in.
As for David Carradine.... pass the shotgun!

Aik Haw
December 24th, 2002, 01:03 AM
I personally believe that had Bruce Lee lived just a little longer, the Chinese actors and playwrights may not have such a hard time penetrating the Western market.

Prior to Bruce Lee, the Western viewpoint of Chinese in film are as backdrop people, dressed as subjugated peasents and servants from the Opium War.

Bruce Lee changed that, and it was Bruce Lee who gave a lot of Chinese HKs, Taiwanese, S'porean, M'sian and Mainlanders actors the courage to step forth into the Western market instead of being contented with the Asian market.

He however died a little too young so was unable to help the rising Chinese stars in the Orient and SEA. Were he around just a decade or two longer, Anglo-Chinese filmmaking might be at par with the parochial Canton-Mandarin filmmaking.

culain1
January 7th, 2003, 07:21 AM
"plus, if he survived long enough, we would be spared martial arts charlatens like van damme and steven seagal"

yep maybe, but Jacky chan wouldn't have made his classic films either. Now that would have been a crime.

Yep, it was sly how bruce lee died early, and yep he would have done more films showing how good a martial artist he was on camera, but his films were not that good really. He was the best martial artist on screen, no doubt about it, but jacky's films and even some of Jets are better.

saintjon
January 7th, 2003, 09:38 AM
That's like saying a model T isn't as good as a Camaro. It's true, but not necessarily fair.

I've thought of it myself a few times. By now, he would be playing the part of the aging master probably, or the seasoned older fighter. Would be a joy to see. I think though, that with Chow Yun-Fat, Jet Lee and of course, Jacky Chan we aren't exactly starved for quality kung-fu stars.

LeMort
January 13th, 2003, 11:20 AM
It's a shame that Bruce Lee died so young, but if he had survived I doubt he would have gone on to have a long and successful movie career in the west.

I reckon that you'd have seen a sequel to Enter the Dragon, a couple more films that would have flopped, and then that would have been the end to his western career. Perhaps he would have resurfaced in some lame TV series or the occasional straight to video movies, but that's your lot.

I suspect that he would have gone on to have a decent movie career in asia like Jackie Chan did, but at the time that Bruce Lee was around there was still too much intolerance and racism in the film industry to allow him to fulfill his potential and become the big star that he deserved to be.