PDA

View Full Version : The Touch

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Aik Haw
December 24th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Anyone watched the English movie directed and starring Michelle Yeoh, The Touch?

What's your opinion about it.

Bond
December 24th, 2002, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry but it was too over-the-top for me. It direly needed some tasteful restraint. For example the scene inside the hidden lair started out impressively but it then quickly descended to the level of a very very bad computer game. That pretty much describes the movie. Some nice panoramic shots, passable fight scenes, but brought beyond any hope of redemption by a rickety plot and abysmally clichéd characterization. Heroes, villains, and supporting characters in HK and HK influenced movies are just too stereotypical.

Aik Haw
December 25th, 2002, 05:17 AM
*Grins most satisfactorily*

Agreed. Though I like the blending of Chinese family value, love, adventure, passion and threads of Buddhism woven into the story....like you, after the initial 20 minutes, it soon became.

Seen this, noted that, yes we know that you will find the tree, oh my, aren't you a little hot in that inferno, and you aren't even singed, that younger brother of yours certainly need a beating, and pity the Vajrana order for accepting him, my, isn't this plot kinda a typical Hong Kong/Taiwan plot?

Cliched character in an Oriental sense definitely. Head of family has a useless brother, but himself or herself very responsible etc.. etc.. The ultimate bad guy is a power greedy European who begulled a few locals. Mix and match characters if you choose.

However, what I think most Asian watchers will find surprising is that boyfriend/foster brother is a European adopted by her Chinese father and taught the family secret arts. This certainly riles against typical Oriental mentality and I know it took quite a few people some minutes to get use to the idea. This I must congratulate her, she shook quite a few foundations.