PDA

View Full Version : Planning your stories: Help!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Thomas
December 26th, 2002, 02:25 PM
I am finding it difficult to plan sci fi stories, can you give me any advice? Eg, brainstorming…

Fyre
December 26th, 2002, 02:39 PM
It really helps me to draw a map of the location of my story. I put in rivers, cities, mountains, forests, and then I give them interesting names. This always helps me develop my worlds, plots, and even my characters.

If you have any aliens in your book I would suggest drawing them as well...even if you aren't an artist (I couldn't draw to save my life). Try reading biology books for interesting ideas to incorporate into your aliens.

I also find that writing music helps me with writing books. If you play any instruments try playing them, make up some melody that reminds you of your characters and their feelings. Make up interesting lyrics.

I know these all might sound like strange ways but they've helped me in the past.

Good luck!

Fyre

Cephus
December 26th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Thomas
I am finding it difficult to plan sci fi stories, can you give me any advice? Eg, brainstorming…

It depends, what do you mean by planning? Creating characters? Coming up with a plot? Detailing the plot? Worldbuilding?

An8el
December 27th, 2002, 07:43 PM
...coming up with the idea or ideas that makes it a sci fi story?

Stewart
December 27th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Music is always a big helper for me, I'll have an idea and I won't be able to make it into something worthwhile and then that perfect inspirational song will turn on and I have a scene in my head with which to work with. Classical music is really good for this.

Aik Haw
December 27th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Thomas:-
I too find your statement puzzling. Do you mean you are having a problem coming up with a plot, a character, a conflict, worldbuilding etc..?

Or are you having a problem as to centre a particular discovery as the main theme of yours, or relationship between humans in a technological future etc..?

I, Brian
December 28th, 2002, 07:01 AM
If the creativity won't even start, it may be an idea to simply play around with different concepts, and experiment with them - simply for the experience and fun of it. Forced writing will be in danger of looking forced.

Thomas
December 28th, 2002, 12:40 PM
I meant the plot of a sci fi. I typically get a gem of a idea, expand and than I can't do that extra jump into a cohesive basic plot. is it important? if so, how do you do it?

Cephus
December 28th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Thomas
I meant the plot of a sci fi. I typically get a gem of a idea, expand and than I can't do that extra jump into a cohesive basic plot. is it important? if so, how do you do it?

Why don't you give us what you have and maybe we can help. Plotting is basically looking at your idea from a lot of different angles, asking a lot of 'what if' questions and letting it gel into something interesting.

choppy
December 29th, 2002, 02:02 AM
Something that works for me is the following:

To brainstorm I sit back and think of the possible conflicts that can arise once I have an idea. Then once I have a few I think about different avenues by which these can be resolved, then it's up to the characters to chose where to go. The plot evolves out of the simple fact that by the end of the story, the original conflicts need to be resolved. No doubt the characters will resolve smaller conflicts as the story goes on, but each resolution should lead to a new (and greater) conflict.

Another idea is simply to work backwards. How should the story end? Then think about what could possibly make it come out that way.