View Full Version : Mulholland Drive / David Lynch

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

ShivadasiA
December 30th, 2002, 09:21 AM
I was wondering if anyone here has seen it, if so what's your take on the meaning.. I have mine, and will share afterwards..

SHIVA

TheElusiveCamel
December 31st, 2002, 02:14 AM
oh thank god!:) i've been trying to find someone who saw the movie and see if they actually understood what was going on!

Spoilers coming up but if you haven't seen the movie why are you reading this thread?
Sorry i'm really bad at names so i'll just use descriptions.
This is probably the easy bit to understand but you can fill me in on anything i missed:). The black-haired girl who got amnesia. THink her name was Camilla. Was annoying her parnter so much (this is after she looks in the blue box) that the partner gets that guy(the one who shot a guy and the bullet went through the wall) to kill camilla (they meet at twinky's) however it doesn't work instead camilla gets amnesia and meets naomi watts, go aussie actors:D, then when they find that dead person that was Camilla's firts partner who had comitted suicide.

I'm still stuck on what happened to find a meaning. Personally i think they made it to screw with your head. I mean why did they suggest naomi watts working at twinky's before she met camilla and what was up with that late night theatre?

ShivadasiA
January 1st, 2003, 09:21 AM
Ok, I don't know if you've seen any other of David Lynch's films, but they arent litteral, so personnaly I don't think yours is correct.. That dead girl on the bed.. was the blonde.. You'll notice that she wasnt effected by seeing it as much as Camilla.. that is becuase shes seen it before.. this is my take,

The blonde came to los angelos, to be a movie star, she became friends with camilla, real close friends, but then camilla left her for the movie director.. that made the blonde mad and she had her killed! The blonde went home, she was going insane, (remember the key?) so she killed herself. But, it happens another time becuase she is in hell! ... she is forced to live it over and over again and each time it is different because her mind cant hold all of the details.. and she wants to make it different but she cant..

thats my take.. tell me what you think.

SHIVA!

TheElusiveCamel
January 2nd, 2003, 03:14 AM
Hmm yours is probably more accurate. I saw it at home really tired so i couldn't really get the hang of it. I'm off David Lynch now:)

ShivadasiA
January 2nd, 2003, 03:24 AM
Give up on David Lynch's flims?? Noooo .. !!

:D :: thinks you should just come here after you see one ::

SHIVA

SparciaM
March 30th, 2003, 07:55 AM
ShivadasiA : Your explanation is the nereast to possible explanation of the story. If you have the film on DVD there is a featurette with David Lynch about how and why he made the film, not giving much away though.

I am currently studying David Lynch and Post-modern American Cinema and can say that David Lynch definately is a Post-modern director (as such! Too much theory to go into with this :) ). But most of his films deal with the sub-conscious and a dream like state. So in Mulholland Drive the box represents Nioma Watts' dream - the dream to become a star and well respected throughout hollywood. The thing is that the beginning of the movie (it is suggested) is telling you what she (NW) is expecting to get out of moving to hollywood, after the box this is showing another image of the move (but also is argued as another timeline of when things go wrong - ie the hell idea). But then when the film ends, everything wraps up but unfolds at the same time. Literally, there is no beginning, middle or end it just flows from one to another and back into the others. I really enjoyed this film. I've realised to just take David Lynch's films as "wierd with no apparent meaning". If you look close enough you will see it.
I would definately recommend "Lost Highway", it is not as brain taxing as Mulholland Drive, but just as good (Bill Pullman and Patricia Arquette). Also, "Donnie Darko" not Lynch but in the same style (twist/plot wise) not direction/cinematography.
"Blue Velvet" i would say stay away from :) It is good, but extremly disturbing and shocking in parts - my least favourite Lynch film.

Hope this helps people out!

MrKip
March 30th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Ok, most of that I'd worked out (I thought the first half was a dream and the second reality) and some of it I hadn't but what the hell was all the stuff behind the diner: the shrunken people and the guy in the cloak?

SparciaM
March 30th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Don't quote me on this : But weren't the shrunken people the ederly couple who were on the flight with Niamo Watts? I can't quite remember. But these people, which are also in Blue Velvet but not shrunken instead super-imposed onto the scene (as well as in Lost Highway - obviously not the same people just the same style/format), they represent the subconscious and un-reality (dream-like) state of the world.

- Obviously, I find the easiet way to look at David Lynch's films is to not try to anaylse or understand them too much :) Some of his films, don't really have an understanding or meaning and others just incorporate people for no apparent meaning (they don't help move the narrative along, they are just there)

I can't remember the guy in the cloak bit (someone will have to refresh my memory), but the whole diner bit (if i'm correct) has something to do with the guy and his dream. He explains it all out and then the man he is with helps him to reinact the dream so that he has no fear anymore, but because his dream actually becomes the reality (or so in his mind) his fear overwhelms him and that is why he collapses near the dustbin.

- This is another example of Lynch and the dream-like reality of world. Lynch stated that most of what we live in or perceive can be argued as a dream due to our memories and how we replay what has gone on. He argues that when you remember something you remember it from another point of view not from your own. Eg. You and three friends are sat on a couch watching TV. When you remember this memory you wont see it from you POV (from your own eyes) but will see you and three friends sat on the couch watching TV from say another point in the room, but you weren't at that point you were sat watching TV. David Lynch is really out there and at times just doesn't seem to explain anything.

MrKip
March 31st, 2003, 04:25 AM
I have to admit my memory's a bit ropey and I did watch it at two in the morning so the guy in the cloak may have been a figment of my imagination but yeah, the whole general diner bit with the dreaming bloke was a bit of a mystery.
And you get to study this? That's most unfair while the rest of us have to slave away in 'normal' classes.:)

SparciaM
March 31st, 2003, 05:01 AM
A wouldn't call studying Post-modernism in film. Globalisation, Hyperdermic Syringe Model theory and The Frankfurt School Theory easy all un 'normal' classes.

Don't get me wrong, it is good to watch films for study, but having to sit and watch the same 20minute clip for 6hours just to anaylse it in depth does get annoying at times. Give me a Maths problem anyday.