PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sci-Fi film of all time?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Captain Marsh
December 31st, 2002, 05:04 PM
Sorry Star Wars , but 2001 and 2010 get my vote. A lot of the action sci-fi films are boring because they are overrated and overused.

Hereford Eye
December 31st, 2002, 05:27 PM
I'll go with the original The Thing. Perfect combination of rationale science and using your own imagination against you. You never see the Thing except for fragmentary glimpses and even at the movie's climax, it isn't the thing but what's happening to it that is terrifying. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

trentdick2882
December 31st, 2002, 11:09 PM
i'd go with Blade Runner. i don't think there is really any sci-fi movie that can top it, great sets, special effects, story, themes. it is just icing on the cake that it is based on a philip k. dick novel.

SusF
January 1st, 2003, 10:11 AM
Blade Runner is my favorite, too. Even it has little to do with Dick's original story.

Susan

Jack Burton
January 1st, 2003, 10:23 AM
I agree..Blade Runner hands down...Even after 20 years, it is still the most compelling vision of the future. Very adult. I would like to see more of stuff like this.

fortytwo
January 1st, 2003, 10:36 AM
I've seen lots of good science fiction films but the one I think about most is Rollerball.
I can really envisage a future where big business takes the place of governments.

Keyoke
January 1st, 2003, 12:58 PM
Star Wars by far is one of my favorites. A few other great scifi movies that I loved are

Time Machine (Old version), Journey to the Center of the Earth (Old), Tron, and Fifth Element.

Keyoke

Hobbit
January 1st, 2003, 04:55 PM
How to select one? I have lots of favourite films for different reasons.

I think my favourite would be The Day the Earth Stood Still. It looked just so great in black and white - Gort was great, and invading aliens! And guess what - they're nice but have a police robot with them. And the earthpeople who shoot the alien are the bad guys! Really made me think when I saw it (and led to the original story by Harry Bates which was also great!)

Blade Runner, I also have a soft spot for. I saw it when it just came out - there was me in the cinema alone. Was like a private screening!

Also mentions must be the first two Alien/s movies (thank you, Sir Ridley Scott!). The first because noone knew what to expect when it first came out, the Cameron film because I was lucky enough to see an advance screening, working at a cinema at the time - was very different but wow!

Films that work your imagination - rather like Hereford's idea, I still have a softspot for The Village of the Damned, the b+w version of John Wyndham's Midwich Cuckoos. What would happen in such a setup - it is so 'English' too! Love the (old) Time Machine too, as it led me to read HG Wells!

2001 bears repeated watchings though I didn't get it the first couple of times (the book helped!) and thought the stargate sequence too long. Then again, I've never seen it on a BIG screen, which might help. I too liked 2010 and enjoyed the book. Did you see the Arthur C Clarke cameo?

Realise this hasn't narrowed the choice down much!

Hobbit

Shehzad
January 1st, 2003, 07:37 PM
Blade Runner without a doubt!

Bond
January 1st, 2003, 11:40 PM
I'll go with the Star Wars original trilogy or maybe Minority Report. Other sci-fi I like not yet mentioned would be Gattaca, The Matrix, Total Recall, The Abyss, Terminator 2, Seconds, Cocoon. No one yet has bothered to mention the other Spielberg sci-fi movies Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., and Jurassic Park.

Of those mentioned I'd like to second the original The Village of the Damned as a recommendation.