View Full Version : Cliche?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

OgreWolf
January 3rd, 2003, 10:41 AM
Has the word cliche become a cliche?

These days you can't say anything without people accusing you for doing cliches. It has gone so far that people call it cliche when a fantasy novel has a good guy and a bad guy. Now how the heck am I supposed to write a story if everything is a cliche? I can't start my book out with: Oylifdu (random name(just some keypresses)) put the squid on his head and said "Hello comrades!". I am sure that this has not been done before, but who would want to read something like that?

I think people should read more than the first 10 pages of a story before judging it. You can't start off your story with something that extraordinary.

I, Brian
January 3rd, 2003, 02:19 PM
Oylifdu...put the squid on his head and said "Hello comrades!". I am sure that this has not been done before

Think you'll find that that surely has been done, by either the Goons, Monty Python, Peter Cook, or Eddie Izzard. ;)

Kilroy
January 3rd, 2003, 07:58 PM
Cliches are all over the place. You just need to put your own spin on them. Cliches wouldn't be so widely known as such if they weren't entertaining. At least that's what I think, i use certain cliches quite frequently.

Kilroy Was Here

SirRob
January 4th, 2003, 03:19 PM
But there are certain cliches you can't put a good spin on. People don't go around labelling everything as cliche Ogrewolf but sometimes they do have a point - Dark Overlords and shepherd boys should never be done again.