PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

OgreWolf
January 3rd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Anyone who has any good "fantasy movies" to recommend? Except Lord of the Rings of course.

DarthV
January 3rd, 2003, 11:04 AM
Conan the Barbarian

'nuff said!

Cuendillar
January 3rd, 2003, 07:37 PM
Disagree with the conan choice. Too bad a film to dismiss all the errors of the 80's technology.

I saw Excalibur barely a week ago. I think it's nearly twenty years old and it had special effects I have never seen before. Good special effects. And it had story. It had a real script and real actors in it.

kahnovitch
January 4th, 2003, 06:03 AM
I'm glad they did the Conan films, but like with a lot of films they changed the character's history and mixed and matched several stories together instead of concentrating on one particular Conan event.
Willow is a good flick, and despite it's low budget, I liked Hawk the Slayer.. bad acting, bad dialogue...Jack Palance as some sort of Medieval Darth Vader, but a cool elf character (called Crow) that makes Legolas look sloppy with a bow.

Richardb
January 6th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Conan is... well, Conan, and you gotta love it.
However, other top notch fantasy faire:
Excalibur = well acted, of course a great story
Willow = fun stuff, and good FX for the time
Ladyhawk = good story, fun
First Knight = good battle scenes, okay story (but the choice of who to play Launcelot... well, they could have done better)

and one real looser:
Dragonheart = just should not have been done.

Bond
January 7th, 2003, 03:01 AM
If you are looking for some old fashioned fantasy of the ghost story variety mixed in with some sword and sorcery here are some to see:

Dead of Night (1945)
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
Heaven Can Wait (1943)
The Devil and Miss Jones
The Devil and Daniel Webster
Only Angels Have Wings
Topper
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Mary Poppins
A Christmas Carol / Scrooge (1951)
The NeverEnding Story
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Portrait of Jennie
The Uninvited
The Haunting
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)
Harvey

Annuzza
January 8th, 2003, 03:15 PM
I seem to remember Labyrinth being pretty good (although David Bowie in what looked like an all-body leotard disturbed me greatly when I was little!).

Jack Burton
January 8th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by kahnovitch
I liked Hawk the Slayer.. bad acting, bad dialogue...Jack Palance as some sort of Medieval Darth Vader, but a cool elf character (called Crow) that makes Legolas look sloppy with a bow.

Woo-Hoo..I did love this chessey little flick. Saw it on Showtime or some such pay-cable channelWAAAAAAAAAAAY back when I was a teen-age lad! It just got released on DVD in Nov., but no store by me has it..may have to order it from Amazon.com!

Stewart
January 9th, 2003, 03:00 PM
I loved that movie! The sequel was ridiculous but I thought the original to be one of the best fantasy films of the 90's!

Richardb
January 9th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Stewart
I loved that movie! The sequel was ridiculous but I thought the original to be one of the best fantasy films of the 90's!
Well, everyone likes and dislikes different things. I found it to be silly, poorly acted, and thought the story weak.
But, again, I liked Conan... which would lead some to wonder about my taste...