View Full Version : How feasible?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Stewart
January 3rd, 2003, 02:43 PM
Would a space craft armed with a melee weapon be? Granted at high speeds it would be useless, but perhaps a fighter equipped with a blade weapon (it would have to be a very durable blade weapons) could reak havoc on a capital class ship. Just imagine if in Star Wars the X-Wings had had lightsabers branching off their sides. Slice those Star Destroyers right up!

Cephus
January 3rd, 2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Stewart
Would a space craft armed with a melee weapon be? Granted at high speeds it would be useless, but perhaps a fighter equipped with a blade weapon (it would have to be a very durable blade weapons) could reak havoc on a capital class ship. Just imagine if in Star Wars the X-Wings had had lightsabers branching off their sides. Slice those Star Destroyers right up!

A lightsaber is an energy weapon, which is a bit different. However, it would be a bad idea in any case, you'd never want to get your ship that close to the enemy.

In the case of a physical weapon, the result of hitting the enemy with it would be the same as crashing into them. You die. They laugh it off.

I, Brian
January 4th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Not really a good idea. Aside from causing the fighter to lose control, really, there are many better ideas for fighter attacks.

OgreWolf
January 4th, 2003, 09:58 AM
In space, the impact from the melee weapon would more likely send you away from the spaceship rather than doing any damage.
And anyway I would think it sounds silly. Why would you use melee weapons in space?

Se'dray-on
January 4th, 2003, 02:25 PM
ok, think of this. why have lightsaber attached to the side of the ship - to slice it up, right? Well, it would be a lot more feasible to just shoot a laser towards the ship. It would do the same thing - slice up the target, and from a safe distance.

Also, when your traveling in space you are going at incredibly high speeds, even with just regular drive. You would never get the precision needed to get that close without crashing. Once, maybe even twice, but not repeatidly(?), the odds would increase against you every time.

OgreWolf
January 4th, 2003, 02:35 PM
since speed is not very relevant when regarding two spaceships travelling in space obtaining the accuracy should not be that hard. But as you say, it would be easier just having a laser gun.

Kalmakka
January 4th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Laser guns are wussy. You need ion cannons to cut through capital ships. However, it's really hard to mount 'em on a fighter. Almost impossible, I would say. They drain too much energy. The best thing is probably to just bomb the other ship with high-power bombs.

Stewart
January 4th, 2003, 03:11 PM
But I had just finished watching about three hours worth of Gundam before I went online and the two kind met somewhere in the middle.

Se'dray-on
January 4th, 2003, 05:32 PM
okay, first, Gundams are robots that fight by manually manipulating the blades, that's why it's feasible for them. If that's the type of fighter you want, then that's a fine idea, but if it's a typical fighter, starwars style, then it's not.

Cephus
January 5th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by OgreWolf
In space, the impact from the melee weapon would more likely send you away from the spaceship rather than doing any damage.
And anyway I would think it sounds silly. Why would you use melee weapons in space?

Actually, it would drag you into the ship by causing drag on the side of the fighter, causing it to turn in that direction. The only possible exception would be energy swords and light sabers, but they're pretty silly and unrealistic anyhow.