PDA

View Full Version : Going rate for Proof readers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Se'dray-on
January 4th, 2003, 05:45 PM
I was just wondering, what's the going rate to proof read a story, novella, novel, document, etc...

Does it go by the word, sentence, length? would appreciate knowing.

Thank you.

Erebus
January 4th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Usually it's around USD$1.50 per page. If we have to charge additional minor proofing/editing for our authors at Equilibrium Books, we have a fee of $125 Australian dollars (about USD$70.00) for works up to 80,000 words. Anything over that or for works we require major editing etc. we would have to quote on application. Other editing services can charge up to $1000 per book. It pays to have a look around I guess. :)

Se'dray-on
January 4th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Actually, wondering 'cause I'm trying to start up my own proof reading business and want to know the "standard" price so I wouldn't over/under charge. I want a price that is cheaper than the going rate, but isn't too cheap.

Would USD$ .75 a page sound acceptable for somebody just starting out?

Valada
January 4th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Try researching it by looking up local companies/consultants in the online yellow/white pages (whatever they are called in your area), and going to the sites of those companies (if they have an internet presence). This will give a good indication of the going rate.

Some things to think about:
- How will you recruit a client base?
- Will you do just fiction?
- Do you have adequate qualifications?
- Do you have industry contacts?
- Does your area require you to register as a company/business, or for tax purposes?

If you are unsure about these answers, do more research and get some business advice. You may want to consider starting out by working for a company in this area - freelancing is difficult if you have never done this sort of work before.

kassimir funk
January 4th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Out of curiosity... what ARE your qualifications?

The reason I ask is that I've been trying to get someone to proofread my work for awhile(for free) and I'm not having much success.

As of this moment I've got a novel of about 550 pages and growing. I expect it to end up around 600-650 pages. What do you think you'd charge me to proofread this?

respectfully,
Da Funk

Se'dray-on
January 5th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Well, how about this? I'll proof read the first 2 pages for free and send them back to you. If you like my work we can talk about payment then? Sound like a plan? If so, my email is Rob_Simms@hotmail.com

Thank you and hope to hear from you.

kassimir funk
January 5th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Sounds good... but how about...

I send you five pages from a random chapter (the first few pages are being scrapped as is) and then we call it a deal?

I'll go ahead and send ya an e-mail.

gratefully,
Da Funk

Holbrook
January 5th, 2003, 05:32 AM
To me there is a difference between an editor and a proof reader.

A proof reader, points out grammar, spelling mistakes and comments on the general flow of the work.

An editor works with you, bouncing ideas, thoughts etc, as well as keeping your grammar inline.

Least that is my experience.

In the UK a proof reader can cost anywhere between 5 to 10 a 1000 words. So that's about a 1.25 per 250 words which is on average a single page of submission format for manuscripts.

An editor, if you are lucky to get a good one, can cost up to 20 per thousand words...