PDA

View Full Version : Eternal champion

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ookey
January 26th, 2002, 07:20 AM
I'd like to start the above series by Michael Moorcock, but I'm completely confused as to the order and where to start. If anyone could list or provide a link to a good (maybe chronological) reading order for these books, I'd appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

Kevin

The Iron Orchid
January 26th, 2002, 08:37 AM
You don't have to read the various cycles that make up the Eternal Champion mythos in any particular order. As long as you start with The Eternal Champion and finish off with the Chronicles of Castle Brass (the last of that series being The Quest for Tanelorn) it will all more or less fall into place. White Wolf (http://www.white-wolf.com/) published a fifteen volume set that has most of the Eternal Champion stuff and a lot of stuff that's tangentially related, but even that doesn't cover what Moorcock has written since that was published. The important parts of it are The Eternal Champion, Phoenix in Obsidian, the Elric series, the Hawkmoon series (including the Brass series), and the Corum series. Other major works are the various Von Bek books and the Dancers at the End of Time books (personal favorites of mine). This is all actually less confusing than it sounds. All of Moorcock's work is sort of loosely interconnected anyway, no one could ever untangle the whole complicated mess; it's best to just sit back, start reading and enjoy.

Rob B
January 26th, 2002, 01:04 PM
You can also check out www.multiverse.org (http://www.multiverse.org)
Moorcock's official Web site.

Elric is probably the most famous of the Eternal Champions.

Von Bek is an excellent part of the cycle as well

Mithfânion
January 27th, 2002, 01:45 AM
I own two Elric omnibus volumes, one called Elric of Melnibone, which has the same stories as Song of the Black sword, which is the US omnibus. Are there any other loose Elric volumes? Bane of the black sword perhaps? The second omnibus I have is called "Stormbringer"and includes "Caravan of dreams", "Revenge of the Rose, "Stealer of souls" and "Stormbringer", "caravan of forgotten dreams" and "Sleeping sorceress".

Anyone?

Rob B
March 12th, 2002, 07:45 AM
The most recent Elric book:
The Dreamthief's Daughter which also features von Bek. I think this book picks up where Fortress of the Pearl leaves off. It's on the pile, unread.

The Elric books have gone through a couple of incarnations at the least.
I have the Science Fiction Book Club Omnibuses
The Elric Saga, I
The Elric Saga, II

I also got the White Wolf omnibuses for Christmas
Bane of the Black Sword
Stealer of Souls

What is interesting is that Fortress of the Pearl & I think Revenge of the Rose do NOT appear in my SFBC volumes but do appear in the White Wolf omnibuses.

[This message has been edited by FitzFlagg (edited March 12, 2002).]

Mithfânion
March 12th, 2002, 08:40 AM
What is interesting is that Fortress of the Pearl & I think Revenge of the Rose do NOT appear in my SFBC volumes but do appear in the White Wolf omnibuses.

Aren't those the two volumes written much later, around 1990?

Rob B
March 12th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Don't know off the top of my head, but the link I posted to www.multiverse.org (http://www.multiverse.org) has the details, including which omnibus versions contain which stories.

Hobbit
March 12th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Yes, Mithfânion - they were. The story of the publishing of these stories is very very complicated....

Fitz - recently read Dreamthief's Daughter and enjoyed it a lot. There's an interesting view when tyou take the idea of chaos and order and extend them - when does order become fascism? There's an interesting take on the Nazism view about relics too - sort of Indiana Jones/Raiders of the Lost Ark style.

I'm still amazed how Moorcock manages so many ideas in so brief a wordage.

Enjoyed it a lot - but you probably have to read the rest of the Elric first, IMO.

Hobbit

Hobbit
March 16th, 2002, 08:33 AM
.....And I've just heard from the man himself!!!!

Mike is off into hospital on Monday for an operation. I thought I'd wish him all the best.

Hobbit

Rob B
March 17th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Yeah, Hobbit, I've got to pick out those two novels FOTP and ROTR before reading Dreamthief.