View Full Version : New Author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Thoth
January 7th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Greetings!

I am a new author. I decided to write a novel a couple years ago. I spent the first year reading and the second year letting some of my thoughts inccubate. I am currently trying to muster the determination to quit procrastinating and pursue my goal in earnest.

I have some scrawlings in a few notebooks and that's about it.

I would consider my work to be dark, philosophical fantasy.

I'm a fan of triogies and have one planned. I'm testing the waters by writing a prequel first.

I know, I must be crazy or masochistic to want to become a writer but it's something I can do without quitting my day job.

Erebus
January 7th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Welcome, Thoth! I'm sure you'll find some very like-minded folks around here. :)

I, Brian
January 8th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Yep - it's always fun!

A point I would make is that you really need to ensure that you read other books in the same genre as you are planning - novels that may have the same ethos, progression, world-view, etc. The reason being that it helps give you an idea of the markets. To focus for publishing, it is quite essential to have at some idea of the markets you may be entering into.

milamber_reborn
January 8th, 2003, 08:17 AM
My usual advice is take notice of everything when you read. Style, grammar (in particular sentence structure), placement of key words etc. Everything that will help you master the art. And write, write, write. And learn to be a good self-editor. And learn from critiques. And enjoy your writing.

Or if you are doing it purely for fun, with no motivation to seriously get published, then ignore everything above.

OgreWolf
January 10th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Hi.

I think it is important that you not just read other novels in the genre, but that you read different authors. There are very many different styles of writing out there.
Sometimes, even if I wrote for fun, I find that I have to force myself to sit down and start writing, there won't be a novel if you never start writing.

Good luck.

Sci Fantasia
January 12th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Welcome Thoth!!

There is something seductive about trilogies isn't there? :D

I know what you mean about procrastination, it's the worst form of writers' block. Sometimes you just have to take the bull by the horns (the keyboard by the... keys??) and write.

I choose to use a word processor because then I'm not worrying about spellings and how untidy my writing is. Procrastination takes many forms :)

Wishing you luck,

Fanta.

computer
January 14th, 2003, 11:48 AM
My advice, start off small with just short stories and such and gradually write larger stories. When you think you're ready to get that first big book wrote then go for it.

But if your mind is made up then by all means write!

Kool,
Marc