View Full Version : Selling books at amazon

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

onions
January 8th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Hi!
Does anyone here have experience in selling their old books at amazon?
What happens if the book gets lost along the way?
Also, was it worth it or did you spend more on packaging and sending the book than you got?

onions

Legolas
January 8th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Yes. I've been selling books on Amazon for about 3 months. I've made enough to buy more books. However, I haven't made a huge profit. I only sell books that I can make a little profit. It is hard to make anything on the used mass market paperbacks. Mostly everything I've sold was hardback. Amazon gives a credit for shipping and I've managed to stay within the shipping credit most of the time. However, Amazon does take part of the profit as a fee. I did it mainly to clean out some space and make room for books I wanted more. I sold books that were given to me as gifts that I never read and also books that I read once and knew I didn't want to read again. I haven't had one get lost on the way yet. If that happened, I guess you would have to refund the buyer. I've made the most profit selling old video games, cookbooks and exercise videos.

onions
January 9th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Hi Legolas,

Thanks for the information.
I mostly want to sell fantasy paperbacks (of the "read once, didn't enjoy"-kind). And though I don't expect a huge profit, I wouldn't want to lose money over the deal either. As you say, paperbacks don't seem to offer a large margin.

"I've made the most profit selling old video games, cookbooks and exercise videos."

Weird. I didn't realize there was such a market for old cookbooks! :)

onions