PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Oscar?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

kater
January 9th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Ok I know I kinda missed the boat with this one but I've just seen A Beautiful Mind and I have to ask: why in the blue hell did Russell Crowe NOT get an oscar? I've seen training day and yes it is good but comparing Denzel's role with Crowe's doesn't do washington any favours, Crowe acts him off the screen. Did it have anything to do with the Baftas incident?

Cephus
January 9th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by kater
Ok I know I kinda missed the boat with this one but I've just seen A Beautiful Mind and I have to ask: why in the blue hell did Russell Crowe NOT get an oscar? I've seen training day and yes it is good but comparing Denzel's role with Crowe's doesn't do washington any favours, Crowe acts him off the screen. Did it have anything to do with the Baftas incident?

The Oscars are strictly political, no matter how much they try to tell you otherwise. It's all who kisses whose backside, nothing more.

Stewart
January 9th, 2003, 10:54 PM
But yeah Crowe deserved it and quite frankly I think this whole show was geared to giving all the African-American actors awards. I won't dispute Sidney Poitier's (I don't know if I spelled his name right) award, he deserved it, but Halle Berry and Denzel. I think there many other actors who did better. What ticked me off though was Ron Howard getting best director over Peter Jackson and A Beautiful Mind getting best picture over the Fellowship!

Jack Burton
January 9th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by kater

I whole-heartedly agree.. DW was very good in Training Day, but not oscar calibre!

Shehzad
January 10th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Russell Crowe has some great performances to his credit: LA Confidentail, The Insider and Gladiator-- but A Beautiful Mind was by far his strongest and best performance. As for Denzel-- he for sure should've got the nod for The Hurricane and if possible the 1993 Oscar should've been split between Tom Hanks and Denzel for Malcolm X.

saintjon
January 13th, 2003, 08:55 AM
I thought it was Philedelphia that they'd done together?

I haven't seen A Beautiful Mind yet, but my guess as to why FOTR didn't get Best Director or Best Picture is probably because nominations were the biggest bone they were willing to throw to the fantasy fans. If the movie hadn't won such a huge following, they probably wouldn't even have given that.

My advice is to just disregard the Oscars completely. The Olympics have become almost as bad IMO.

Film-making is supposed to be an art, not a competition. Besides, the more you rant about who should get which award the more credibility you give to celebrity worship and crap-shows like Access Hollywood.

Jacquin
January 13th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Shehzad
Russell Crowe has some great performances to his credit: LA Confidentail, The Insider and Gladiator-- but A Beautiful Mind was by far his strongest and best performance. As for Denzel-- he for sure should've got the nod for The Hurricane and if possible the 1993 Oscar should've been split between Tom Hanks and Denzel for Malcolm X.

Not to mention Romper Stomper...

J

kegasaurus
January 14th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by saintjon
I thought it was Philedelphia that they'd done together?

Yeah, but in 93 Hanks got it for Gump, whilst Denzel missed out for his marvelous portrayel of X. I hate to say things like this, but last years oscars was an awards of appeasement adn teh Academy was making up for this while they were giving the sensational Sidney Portier his well deserved life time achievement award. As for Ron Howard, he is more of the subtle type of director (He'd be magnificent on the independant scene, though I'm still waiting for the buddy pic with pie), unlike Jackson who used every hollywood trick in the book.

I still say Crowes best film was spotswood, but I have a little soft spot in my heart for this genuine Australian classic which also starred teh magnificent Anthony Hopkins.

Agree totally with Jacquin.

ChrisW
January 14th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Where's the Oscar?

He wasn't black.