View Full Version : War movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

saintjon
January 12th, 2003, 10:50 PM
I don't think we've gotten into discussing war movies yet, but I've been watching a lot of them lately so I figured I'd start a thread.

I just finished watching the Apocalypse Now Redux.

...wow.

What an inspired bowl of craziness. I'm still swimming around a bit in all the meanings. I still see Brando's camoed monolith of a tortured visage in my mind's eye. I was surprised to realize that the young guy on the boat was Laurence Fishburne. Jeez, I had this instant of comparing that role to Morphius from the Matrix, and has he ever come a long ways.

Other movies I've seen recently include Full Metal Jacket (I found it was entirely too good at making me think things which I would rather not) and the last third or so of Platoon.

Best ending of these three goes to Full Metal Jacket. The sight of those soldiers all singing the Mickey Mouse Club song was just TOO creepy.

kahnovitch
January 13th, 2003, 01:52 AM
There has certainly been a lot of new war movies released the last few years, all concentrating on WWII it seems.
When you compare them to the old older films it's plain to see that the mood has changed considerably from the gung-ho "kill the bad Germans" to the "War is a boiling pot of suffering and hardship"
The opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan were very brutal and and (I suppose, as I've never been in a war situation) quite realistic.
There's far more blood & guts in the newer movies and less jingoism.

saintjon
January 13th, 2003, 07:46 AM
I think it is a real indicator of the times to see how movies portrayed the vietnam war in the early eighties/ late seventies and how movies portray WW2 now.

The movies they make now adays don't feel the need to present challenging contradictions like officers killing each other, since the maddening absurdity is readily present in the amount of gunfire and blood-shed.

I don't think we'll ever see an idealistic war movie again, not after Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.

What grinds me is how NOT A ONE of the WW2 movies I've seen ever seem to mention ANY CANADIANS AT ALL!!! Doesn't Hollywood know we were the best? It's not just because of our friendly demeanours the Europeans love us so much.

kegasaurus
January 14th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Canadians. PHHHH, give me an Australian any day. Pearl Harbour is considered a joke compared to the bombing of Darwin (now theres a movie) adn the only reason it has any relevance is that it made teh United states finally get off its butt and dive into the war. The Kakoda trail is still one of the most harrowing adventures in WWII history and indicative of teh Austaralian spirit.

Agree with you on the three movies you've made mention of, though I always liked the lighter war stories such as Air America and the great Escape.

Bond
January 14th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Canadians? Doesn't the 49th Parallel contain more than just a passing reference? True it isn't a Hollywood production.... Band of Brothers had a passing reference IIRC. Jingoism? Never believe it is dead. To think that the absence of patriotism would be good I think is a mistake too. It has its place.

Anyone seen Ambush Bay?

Eldanuumea
January 14th, 2003, 02:21 PM
I prefer the old war movies....they managed to make you think without sloshing around so much blood and gore.
Bridge Over the River Kwai
Go Tell the Spartans
The Bridge at Remagan
Run Silent, Run Deep
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
Guns of Navarone

Private Ryan and When We Were Soldiers were both very powerful, but the graphic nature of some of the sequences was too intense for me. I realize some people may need such a jolt, but I already see war as a horror and don't need exploded tissue in my face.
Apocalypse Now may be the best war movie ever made......the scene that I find most disconcerting is the one where the girls are giving a show.

Mears
January 14th, 2003, 04:23 PM
IMO one of the best war movies ever made is Australian. It is about the Aussie's in Vietnam. It's called "The Odd Angry shot" Its a bit of a rarity, but well worth viewing.

OgreWolf
January 14th, 2003, 05:30 PM
I find that many warfilms are just concentrated american propaganda. However there are some that are not, but I find that I avoid films which are titled "We were soldiers" etc. They don't seem to something I would use two hours of my life on...
Yet I enjoy those films that are not like this. The problem is sorting out the bad ones.

Eldanuumea
January 14th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Actually there are two films which I consider excellent "war" movies which would not normally be considered as such...."Tea for Mussolini" and "Paradise Road."

saintjon
January 14th, 2003, 08:06 PM
I heard there were Canadians in Band of Brothers, but I haven't seen it. Plus, it's a mini-series, not a hollywood -flick-. whatever lol, that's pretty nit-picky.

Actually, I've been wanting to see Bridge on the River Kwai for years. Isn't Alec Guinnes in it?