View Full Version : Age of authors

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

OgreWolf
January 14th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Was just wondering about the age of the people posting in and reading the writing forum. I myself am 18 (will be 19 in march).
Even though my works so far might not be as good as I might like I find that I have all the time in the world to improve my skills. Maybe there's still hope for me. Most renowned authors are in their late fourties. What about you?

Is age as important as some say?
I believe you learn as you live, but that doesn not mean that you can't be a skilled author at the age of 18, does it?

Are young people (no, 30's not young) treated differently by publishers etc? Is there any possibility of a young authors works to be published. Would anyone read them?

Chlestron
January 14th, 2003, 06:19 PM
I'm 26, I've been writing since I was about 15 and when I look back at those early days, I am a little horrified at my style then. I feel that I have gotten SO much better in those 11 years. As to the other question, I don't know being unpublished.

I don't think that, until the publisher actually MEETS you, that they would know how old you are, or your gender or much of anything along those lines. Realistically, it shouldn't matter.

OgreWolf
January 14th, 2003, 06:27 PM
That's exactly what I think, the author should not matter. The work/novel/whatever is what is important.
Not long ago I read thorugh something I wrote 2 years ago, and I was horrified at how crappish I was able to write. The opening sentence pretty much explains it "In the beginning all was calm and tranquil," the rest is edited away for personal protection. ;)
Anyways I believe and hope that I have improved from back then, after all I have read 40+ fantasy books, written maybe a 100 pages etc since then.

Erebus
January 14th, 2003, 09:25 PM
44 in April. :)

choppy
January 14th, 2003, 09:41 PM
There are a lot of young people out there that have a lot of talent. And there are a lot of old people without any. Unfortunately I think the former are outnumbered.

I'm 27 and still in school, but I don't live in my parent's basement.

I know that a while ago (80's ?) there was a push for young authors by a few publishers. I don't think it's still trendy, but I wouldn't let that stop me from writing. One thing I do know is that young people are often not taken as seriously as their older colleagues in many businesses. Have you ever walked into a Porsche dealership when you were eighteen?

no, 30's not young
You'll have to excuse me while I laught at the fact that this came from an 18 year old.

Stewart
January 14th, 2003, 10:03 PM
I'm going to be sixteen in a little under three months.

Shiari
January 14th, 2003, 11:16 PM
I'm 20... ^_^;;

Lifino
January 14th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Although this is currently the topic some heated debate, I am now 27, being born in late 75...

I am also laughing at that 30 comment... And these days it seems the younger people are getting the jobs before their elders... We accept less pay and frequently have better and more current education... The employment industry is something like Target these days: Get more, pay less...

Choppy, you're doing better than two or three hand-fulls of my friends! And I just got my degree, uh, last year. Yes, the Under-grad degree!

Holbrook
January 15th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Hmmmm.... age doesn't mean a thing. Though I would say that having a few years under your belt and seeing the world a bit, would and does help you with the personal relationships aspects of writing. It also helps you to see that things are not always black and white. Most life is various shades of grey.... A hero might not be mister nice guy etc......

Also one thing age teaches you is to take your time..... plan and think... So many young want to be authors have the raw talent, but in their rush to "have it now" blow their chances by:

A. Rushing the work.

B. Not being able to take constructive criticism.

C. By being a "I know it all" No you don't know it all. Not even authors that have published a dozen books "know all" about the publishing industry. It is changing from day to day.

D. By not having the guts to say, ok I want to learn the craft of writing. I don't mean ideas, but the skill of grammar and presentation.

E. To actually admit they are a very, very small fish in a very, very large pond and to be noticed they have to work at it.

The bottom line is that writing and trying to get published is a hard and very painful business. You need to be stubborn to the point of foolishness and need to have a "back up" career to pay the bills while you are trying.

Contrary to urban myth starving to death in a seedy bedsit while bashing out your "best seller" is not all it's cracked up to be.....

By the way I am old enough to be the parent of all on this thread so far save, for Erebus and I can give him a few years *g*

kahnovitch
January 15th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Not sure if age matters too much to the publishers or agents etc. (I mean Harry Potter could have been written by a 12 year old nevermind about one. Quiet now, HP fans.... I was only joking! )
(no your weren't)
(YES I WAS! DOWN SATAN!) http://members.iinet.net.au/~vroncol/Smiley_gifs/smiley-devil.gif
As far as the thirty isn't young comment, It may interest you teenies to know that in the wicked world of writing a lot of famous successful writers didn't get published until they were IN their thirties.
Hope that makes you all feel better!
http://members.iinet.net.au/~vroncol/Smiley_gifs/nana.gif

BTW I'm 32.