View Full Version : Dreams and Stories

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

choppy
January 17th, 2003, 04:10 PM
I had a chance to read Stephen King's "On Writing" recently. In one of the chapters he talks about how the idea for Misery came to him in a dream on an airplane flight.

A few months ago, when I was working on the National Novel Writing Month challenge, I began my novel based on one of my own dreams . The novel, although ending up not really having much to do with the dream, turned out quite well.

Last night I had a rather vivid nightmare - one that freaked me right out. That doesn't happen too often. I'm considering turning it into a story as well.

I don't normally consider myself to be one of those "oh, it came to me in a dream," type people (not that there's anything wrong with that). I was just curious how many others have dreams about their stories, or base stories on dreams?

(And I just wanted to show off my fancy new avatar.)

kater
January 17th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Nice avatar ;) - my current novel came from an idea I had whilst sleeping and it was so good I woke up and wrote some things down straight away. On several occasions I've been dozing off only to have an idea or a start to a poem and then I have to get up and write it down before I forget - most annoying sometimes but its worth it in the end I think.

Cephus
January 17th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by choppy
I had a chance to read Stephen King's "On Writing" recently. In one of the chapters he talks about how the idea for Misery came to him in a dream on an airplane flight.

I keep considering reading that, but since I think King has become a complete sell-out, I don't want to give him any of my money. Would you say it was a worthwhile read?

I don't normally consider myself to be one of those "oh, it came to me in a dream," type people (not that there's anything wrong with that). I was just curious how many others have dreams about their stories, or base stories on dreams?

I don't think I've ever had a story come to me in a dream, but I'ce certainly worked out story details in dreams before. I think most authors have done that from time to time.

Ray Bradbury works like that all the time. He wakes up and writes immediately before all of his dream ideas vanish. There was a nice article on him and his methods in the latest issue of The Writer.

Miriamele
January 17th, 2003, 07:30 PM
I could never turn any of my dreams into a story, because they are all either very, very weird or not suitable for all audiences. :D

kater
January 17th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Please tell all :D

milamber_reborn
January 17th, 2003, 10:06 PM
A few times. Usually just a fragment that beomes the beginning or a small scene that gets me thinking of a good full blown idea.

Drewby
January 22nd, 2003, 08:32 PM
My dreams are always so bizarre and unlogical that it would be nearly impossible to turn into a story, or a good story at least.

milamber_reborn
January 22nd, 2003, 09:54 PM
An idea is an idea. Just make sure you have pen and paper handy all the time to jot down notes.

Merancapeman
January 23rd, 2003, 09:21 AM
I have to say.... my dreams are of the insane mind. Let me tell you one i strangley remember since i was a kid. I dreamed cookie monster came into my kitchen along with ernie and put a Teenage Mutant Nija Turtle figurine into the oven, turned on high, and opened the oven door. It had become a breakfast sausage. and cookie monster ate it. Now, i did base my book on some dreams. A beautiful girl, Elizabeth, i had met in a dream of mine. I swear you this, i asked her if she was dreaming too, and she said "yeah! i am! That is soooo wierd! Where do you live?" i told her, she left and i woke up. Speaking of which, i wonder if in uncouncienss(however you spell it) mind, you can connect with others...

Mike

Fyre
January 24th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Almost all my ideas come from dreams. A lot of the situations I take in dreams are not one I will ever experience in real life. I use those feelings by putting them on paper.

I always have weird dreams where I'm a guy. It's really weird being a man. Wow...I pity all of you.