PDA

View Full Version : What music do you listen to while writing?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Stewart
January 20th, 2003, 11:17 AM
I'm making a burn CD of songs to listen to while writing and like some suggestions.

Fyre
January 20th, 2003, 12:37 PM
I personally cannot listen to music while writing, but I do listen to music before I write. Music with lyrics, especially pop music, might be distracting if you listen to it while you're writing. So I would recommend classic or new age music with NO LYRICS. If you're listening to the music before you right anything will work. I think Enya is very inispiring and gets my ideas running before I sit down at the computer.

I hope that helped.

Tanya

I, Brian
January 20th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Music can be inspiring, especially film music. I guess it's a case of trying to find an association between the pathos of your writing and the music being listened to. Film music has plenty of variation - sometimes the variation takes you by suprise and suddenly kicks your inspiration off.

Chlestron
January 20th, 2003, 03:16 PM
One problem with that is that for me at least, the film music makes my inspiriation follow the movie which is usually not something I want to do.

kassimir funk
January 21st, 2003, 01:38 AM
Don't worry bro, I gotcha covered. Try some of these...

Nortec Collective - El Lado Obscuro de mi compadre
Nortec Collective - Ventilador
Anything by Nortec Collective really

Soundgarden - Searching with my good eye closed
Soundgarden - Overfloater

Natacha Atlas - Leysh Nat'arak

Gustav Holst - Mars bringer of war(classical)

Charlotte Church - Habanera

Mozart master mix - Stravinsky's Firebird Suite

NIN - Mr. Self Destruct (for when you're writing those particularly violent characters or scenes)

Smetana - Die Moldau(classical)

Portishead - Wandering star (for the more depressing stuff)

Just about anything by the group "Bond" as well particularly "Bella Donna" or "Kismet"

Grieg(classical) - Arabian Dance(several versions) and Morning

Debussey(classical) - claire de lune

most of these have no words and if they do you probably won't understand them anyway

Da Funk

p.s. lemme know what ya think

Duarh
January 21st, 2003, 06:19 AM
Well. . .I like listening to the LOTR soundtracks :) and other classical music.

What lets me listen to pop music while writing without making me listen to lyrics is the fact that I listen to a lot of Japanese & Chinese pop music. Understand rather little of the lyrics, but love the music - upbeat, most of it, & keeps me going.

For darker pieces, get Bjork. Definitely. 'I'm playing Dead', 'I've seen it all', 'Violently Happy', 'Isobel' and others are just perfect for the gloomy story

kahnovitch
January 21st, 2003, 08:22 AM
Agreeing with what was said before, it depends on the mood of the chapter/episode you're writng. Find some music that sets the mood of the piece you are working on.

Cephus
January 21st, 2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Stewart
I'm making a burn CD of songs to listen to while writing and like some suggestions.

I can't listen to anything while writing, I need absolute silence. If anyone is even in the same room with me, I can't write, so I guess I can't help you there.

Merancapeman
January 21st, 2003, 03:44 PM
Wow, i'm suprised no one has mentioned John Williams, one of the best composers of all time! I listen to him while i write, he's the one that wrote music for all the star wars series, indiana jones:), harry potter, even small stuff like home alone and saving private ryan. He always has that adventure music that i love, sometimes its really creapy, well, it depends on what movie it's based one, ok, getting off the point. John Williams HAS to be one of the best insparations!

Mike-but don't take MY word for it-:D

Merancapeman
January 21st, 2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Fyre
. I think Enya is very inispiring and gets my ideas running before I sit down at the computer.

Ooooh, have to agree with you on that, one time I tried listening to it while writing, i got too lovey dovey and freaked out i had to delete a whole chapter of "peace" and "love" and i thought, my god! what have i done! This is a load of crap!!!!!!

Mike