View Full Version : 8 Mile

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Solaar
January 20th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Anyone seen this yet?? I loved it - a brilliant film, but my gf and bro-in-law thought it was boring!!

Solaar
a fan

Stewart
January 20th, 2003, 08:09 PM
A very dramatic movie, and a very good performance by Eminem.

Se'dray-on
January 20th, 2003, 10:56 PM
I thought it was a fairly powerful story with a good, solid plot and really good acting by Eminem - sort of surprised me with that.;)

enazwo
January 20th, 2003, 11:21 PM
I was dragged kicking and clawing to this movie. I did not want to see anything with this eminem fellow or any angry rapper waxes gritty street corner philosophy.
However I found that I was very impressed with the movie and it's character. I'm not a rap fan now, however I have a new found respect for this angry white boy eminen's talent.
I do realize that there is a tremedous amount of talent involved in being able to rap, but I have never acquired a taste for it. But 8 Mile really did impress me. I left theatre glad that I had gone to see it.

kater
January 21st, 2003, 12:16 AM
What he said, not keen on watching it - would rather have watched the new Bond but attractive american insisted, I followed, I was impressed and gained brownie points. Nice one Eminem :D

Aik Haw
January 21st, 2003, 09:11 AM
10/10 for this movie. I must admit it is one of the few good movies I have watched last year. I love rap anyway, so that is just an extra, super bonus.

Mamb
January 21st, 2003, 01:33 PM
OK, I haven't seen it, but please don't lynch me if I make a point:

The film might be powerful, dramatic and well made. And Eminem is a great rapper. But how much praise should Eminem get for his acting, seeing as he was basically playing himself. I mean this film has been tipped for an Oscar. Which category could it possibly win?

kater
January 21st, 2003, 02:19 PM
Best Newcomer? Its one thing to be someone but to portray it on screen given all the nuances of cinematic performance and it was his debut, all credit to the bloke I say.

Solaar
January 23rd, 2003, 12:03 PM
Just a thought - but in the rap scene Eminem says what he wants and does what he wants and doesn't care who gets in his way.

In the film he's much milder, and beaten down (literally) by life.

Dunno, I think he was acting pretty well.

Plus, you know when you come out of a cinema all excited because you've seen a really good film and you're really pleased with yourself? Well, that's what I got afterwards. Did it with Insomnia too!

Solaar
and his contrasting films

Jack Burton
January 23rd, 2003, 02:00 PM
Sorry, I value everyone's opinion here, but I don't think I could ever watch 8-mile..I detest Eminem and rap in general. I can understand the complexities of rapping, perhaps understand the angst of some of the rappers, but being a copper, I see the negative influence of rap and white, affluent kids emulating the 'life-style' makes me a bit angry. I deal with kids all the time and the hostility they exude makes me laugh/angry at the same time. I tell them if you grew up in East New York, or 125th st/ St. Nicholas Ave uptown Manhattan (all places I worked as a NYC cop before going to a suburban PD), then ok, knock yourself out, but, quite frankly, they wouldn't last a NEW YORK minute in those areas..and when I give them a ticket or a verbal warning, they get all pouty and run home to mommie and daddie, telling them the big bad cop was harassing them..sheesh! Sorry for the rant.