PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Davycelt
January 22nd, 2003, 06:25 AM
I am looking for the title book that I read and then lent to a friend several years ago. Author and title have long since been forgotten, but I would very much like to trace the book. It was a boof from the SFF genre. Not much can really be remembered except that certain characters in the book were similar to mutants, humans with certain animal characteristics. One of the main characters was a cross between a human and a cat p making him a thief like character. During course of novel, chracters meet a spirit style character named djinn.
I appreciate that this is very sketchy information, but maybe it means something to someone out there. If anyone has aclue what I am talking about - please help. Many Thanks

Jon Shannow
January 22nd, 2003, 07:02 PM
Maybe one of the ShadowRun books?

h3nG
January 22nd, 2003, 11:03 PM
have you tried searching up the character's name with google?

it might just catch a summary of the book with the name, hence giving the title.

good luck though! i myself wish i could find this book i read in middle school (i think it was the only book i ever read up to 10th grade, sad...hehe).

dragondrool
January 23rd, 2003, 06:56 PM
Very, very long shot here.

Deborah Chester's The Golden One (book one of Lucasfilm's Alien Chronicles)? I seem to remember a thieving catlike mutant character there, but I never finished it, so I don't know about the djinn.

Se'dray-on
January 25th, 2003, 09:25 PM
No djinn.

Lucifer Morningstar
January 27th, 2003, 04:09 AM
The Rediscovery of Man by Cordwainer Smith maybe?

lemming
January 27th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Yes, I second the vote for Cordwainer Smith. There are cat-people and mystical elements galore in his stuff. Could be The Rediscovery of Man (collection of short stories) or Norstrilia (novel, long out of print, find it on bookfinder.com). The problem is that I don't remember any of the cat underpeople being theives.

I was also briefly thinking of Psion by (I think) Joan D. Vinge. That has a main character named Cat who is a theif, but unfortunately I don't remember any djinn or Djinn.

Do you remember anything else about the world this was set in?