PDA

View Full Version : What is the hardest part of writing for you?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Drewby
January 22nd, 2003, 08:38 PM
The hardest part of writing for me is coming up with names. I can create these great lands and characters and everything in my mind, but I can never come up with a name for the people or city or whatever it may be I am working on. Any tips?

What is the hardest part of writing for you?

Thoth
January 22nd, 2003, 09:00 PM
I found a name generator at this site..

http://spitfire.ausys.se/johan/names/default.htm

And another at..

http://rinkworks.com/namegen/

Good Luck!

milamber_reborn
January 22nd, 2003, 09:48 PM
Thankfully nothing stands out as hard to me. For names I usually have a mix of normal and made-up names. I keep a few lists split into Male, Female and Made-up names and I constantly add to it whenever I think of one or hear a cool name.

Try http://ebon.uni.cc/ It's got some good ones from different cultures. Make sure you download the extras for it.

Holbrook
January 23rd, 2003, 01:03 AM
The hardest thing for me: Finding the time to write.

Time when I haven't something nagging at the back of my brain..

Time when other members of the family are busy and will leave me in peace.

Time when I am not too tired and I don't have the strength to do more than just browse the internet.

Also beginnings, where to begin the story. At what point in the tale do you want your audience to join in.....

At the moment my present piece,( barely started) has three beginnings.... One begins with a letter, two begins at sea, three begins some 50 years in the future. ie. the furture as compared to the main action of the story... In fact it is the ending or the beginning. Life is after all one big circle.......

Cephus
January 23rd, 2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Drewby
The hardest part of writing for me is coming up with names. I can create these great lands and characters and everything in my mind, but I can never come up with a name for the people or city or whatever it may be I am working on. Any tips?

I hate doing names, but I've never found a random generator that worked for me either, they come off as random letters (which they are) and not as a good name. If I'm really stuck, I'll go through the phone book, flip open to a random page and poke my finger down. Repeat for last name. You get some interesting combinations.

kahnovitch
January 23rd, 2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Holbrook
The hardest thing for me: Finding the time to write.

Time when I haven't something nagging at the back of my brain..

Time when other members of the family are busy and will leave me in peace.

Time when I am not too tired and I don't have the strength to do more than just browse the internet.

Ditto.
There's always several other voices screaming for my attention and drowning out the writer in me.
I guess I should run away to some isolated cabin in the woods or a cave in Tibet!

Merancapeman
January 23rd, 2003, 09:41 AM
the hardest thing to write in writing IS writing it

Richardb
January 23rd, 2003, 10:11 AM
Time. There is not enough time. Work, work, and work. Then comes kids and wife next. Gotta spend time on those things. Writing falls behind.
To finally finish my last book I had to just stop and take 4 months off of work, no other way to do it.
Names, strangely enough are not a problem. I love the process of creating the world and naming the people and places. It is the really enjoyable.
Frankly, there are times I would rather focus on world building and let someone else tell the stories...

Chlestron
January 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM
For me, the hardest part is wrapping everything up at the end. I have NO trouble identifying when the story is actually over, but sometimes on a read through I see IMPORTANT threads that were started, but their ending was sort of half-assed. An example. In one of my novella length stories, I had a meddling alien influence that played a big role in the explanation of what was going on and why and how, but come to the endgame and that alien influence is just quieted with a few short lines... very unsatisfying for me.

Merancapeman
January 23rd, 2003, 11:23 AM
Does anyone want to see my book, perhaps? Check out what i mean on when i say i have good idea but it was put in the wrong head!

Mike