PDA

View Full Version : If a really good science fiction movie came out would it win an award?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Stewart
January 24th, 2003, 12:04 PM
When FotR went to the Oscars I was quite excited, here one of my favorite movies was nominated for quite a few major awards. It was almost unheard of at the time for a film of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre to get such attention from the Academy. And indeed it won a good few awards, but all of them crappy ones. The major awards that count were of course won by the same old stuff that wins every year. Some movie about a person persevearing against grea odds to fix a problem in their crappy lives (A Beautiful Mind). Why didn't the Lord of the Rings win Best Picture? I mean it had a plot that had for decades enthralled millions of people, it had small people taking on tremendous burdens and succumbing to pains that few other movies could ever match. A beautiful script, actors, director and still it was given the booby prizes. Why? It's a fantasy/sci-fi film. There have been a lot of good fantasy/sci-fi films throughout history. But the problem is not enough people take them seriously! Perhaps the most dramatic moment in any movie I had ever seen was when Boromir, riddled with arrows fought on untill his last breath, or Gandalf bellowing "You shall not pass!" to the Balrog. But the very fact that it is orcs firing these arrows and a demonic Balrog Gandalf a wizard was fighting is what held the movie back.
So I now pose my question. If a science fiction or fantasy movie were to come out that had a story, cast and director that did everthing perfectly would it even stand a chance against the heavy hitting blockbusters of the "normal" genres?

saintjon
January 24th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Not for best picture.

Give it another 4 decades or so, maybe then.

Nevyn
January 24th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Does an award make the movie better ? Most awards in many industries are only about pissing in one anothers pockets :D

saintjon
January 24th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Precisely.

The Oscars are nothing but an add for clothing designers nobody can afford anyway, an excuse for inane, worthless demi-celebs (ie: Joan Rivers) to have something to yack about, and most of all a terrible waste of time.

I stopped watching the Oscars years ago, after realizing that fundamentally, it's one of the worst shows ever. At least it's only on once a year.

Cephus
January 24th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Since the Oscars are strictly political, probably not. It's not about how good of a movie you have, it's who you know and who you pay off.

Get the Academy mad at you, and even though you have the biggest blockbuster of the year, you'll never see a statue.

Stewart
January 26th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Are the MTV Movie Awards. They're always hilarious and they have categories that people actually enjoy. Best Fight Sceme, Best Car Chase. It's fun.

Nevyn
January 26th, 2003, 05:39 PM
I have only seen the MTV movie awards once , Jack Black & Sarah Michelle Gellar were hosting - very funny . Just might watch it next time it's on , or not ! :D

fluffy bunny
January 26th, 2003, 07:56 PM
nah- look at what happened in 2001- Shrek was easily the best film of that year, no questions asked, so what did they do? Invented the best animated film category.