PDA

View Full Version : Creating Grandeur

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Acaptus
January 25th, 2003, 12:48 AM
I don't know if I have this problem, but I think I do. How does everyone here go about making things in their book great and grand? How do you describe those things that are so far from what happens in the normal course of a day?

I'm not talking about large buildings, but large events, ideas, places. For my science fiction writing large objects are also an issue.

How do you make things big?

Bardos
January 25th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Distance and talking about them.

Or, from a close distance, describe them as they are; if they are great it will show.

Or, write about what people think about them; sometimes it's the thinking that makes it grand.

Cephus
January 26th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Quite simply, I don't. I honestly try not to go overboard with grand visions, I think they're very overdone and don't have much of an impact. If every story in the world deals with the heroes on a grand, heroic quest to save the universe, that gets dull very quickly.

I'd rather have a much more personal story that doesn't impact life, the universe and everything.

enazwo
January 26th, 2003, 03:27 AM
A very interesting and practical question. Though the use of grand ideas and concepts may not be every writers's cup-o-tea, it certainly has been a main stay of story telling since time immemorial, and will-I suspect-remain that way for a spell.

The line of quality between grand description and qaudy syurp is fine as angel's silk.

Bardos recommendation of using the perspective of your characters is excellent.

Perhaps you could start with a narrative of the practical description of this grand event or idea, then progress to one of your character's opinions or ruminations of the grand event.

To add another perspective you could have one of your bitter characters express disdain for this grand event or idea and your characters who value it.

I, Brian
January 26th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Really, grand concepts and ideas will speak for themselves.

Pluvious
February 7th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Try contrasting something grand with something simple...although don't overdue it. Also, maybe talk it down using a character that isn't easily impressed then have him/her be mildly (or more) startled by something impressive concerning your grand object.

Sounds logical anyway, maybe I'll try it myself...(just think). That's what I should change my signature to. JUST THINK. The more you think the more you can impress yourself with. And that's real fun.

wastra
February 7th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Actually, I believe it is very simple. It's the difference between saying:

"George stepped off the ramp and saw the largest expanse of land he'd ever seen."

Not that inspiring, is it?

Think about what GEORGE saw:

"George stepped off the ramp onto the dusty ground. He caught his breath. Before him stretched the great expanse of the Mars desert. The morning Martian sunrise gleemed across te visor of his environmental suit, reflecting the miles and miles of red-stained rocky ground. After the months of confinement aboard the passnger liner, he felt dizzy at the sight before him. He felt small, alone; a tiny speck on the vast blueprint of the planet. At that moment, he finally understood the awe that his grandfather felt when he first set foot on the martian soil. His grandfather's stories came back to him suddenly, then."