PDA

View Full Version : What are some good names for warships?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Stewart
January 26th, 2003, 10:26 PM
I am in dire need of some good warship names, so I don't have to resort calling ships numbers.

Drewby
January 26th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Are we talking about steel warships with laser turrets that prowl the space above our planet or wooden warships with archers that travel the seas?

Stewart
January 27th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Space ships.

Merancapeman
January 27th, 2003, 09:57 AM
The She

Cadfael
January 27th, 2003, 10:37 AM
If they are ships from earth .... could they not carry the names of existing naval ships... I am not talking about the usual Enterprise, Columbus etc... but the less well know... Archer, Valiant, Dart etc?

You really should give a bit of background to let us know what we are dealing with. :D :)

Merancapeman
January 27th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Yes, i'd be saying "Contessa 2" Tho i have no idea where i got that from...

I, Brian
January 27th, 2003, 01:51 PM
My world has a rich history which I draw on for the names, often corrupting where the evolving linguistics demand it. You could try something like that.

If not, you could always call your biggest and best ship "the Brian"!

Oh - btw - I have some very good writing resources on my own site (http://www.chroniclesofempire.net). If you find the naval links to be of any use, a good way of expressing thanks would be to join. ;) Especially as I'm about to double the resources and make the site private.

wastra
January 27th, 2003, 02:08 PM
American naval ships take hte names of presidents, states, and cities. Hence hte USS Eisenhower, or USS Kentucky, etc.

Starships might be named after famous battles, planets, scientists, etc.

Dennis_Mahon
January 27th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Stewart:

In my own opinion, the name of a ship should reflect something of the ship's function/mission. The imagery that a ship's name should enhance the image of the ship. For example, if your ship is a warship, it's name ought to reflect the prime qualities of that ship- war, power, terror, and death. The name should also tap into popular culture, to make a connection with persons and/or places commonly associated with those qualities.
So, I would names like Hector, Herekles, and Achilies ( to reflect ancient warriors and heroes ), the Stalingrad, the Midway, the Appatomox ( to reflect famous battles ), or (if the character of the ship's crew/navy/civilization reflect such an attitude ) the Decimation of Tau Ceti, the Judgement of the Republic, or the Wrath of the Nor'var ( to evoke the image of famous events from foreign/alien societies ).
If my ship was a survey/exploratory vessel, I might choose the Far Horizon, the Magellan, the Amerigo Vespuchi, or the Undiscovered Land.
You just have to be creative, and choose names that will allow the reader to make conections.

Stewart
January 27th, 2003, 10:33 PM
The ships I'm going to have the Humans use are space based, somewhat primitive technologically but they can hold their own against the aliens. They are light and very fast which is primarily their only advantage as the opponent has better guns, heavier ships and large numbers. However I am also going to have varrying classes in use at the same time, there will be two classes of frigates, cruisers and destoyers as an earlier version of each is produced until early on in the story when new designs are made for better ships. There is one class of battleships, carriers and I have decided to make flagships into their own special class as a sort of super capital ship that is a mixture of a battleship and a carrier.
I am going to have four classes of fighters, which I have dubbed the H-series fighters.
*H-19 Stardust-Primary Human fighter of an earlier war used for training pilots in the time my story takes place.
*H-20 Spitfire-Primary attack fightr at the time of my story, based on the designs of the H-19 but modified with better technology to serve as a replacement for it's nearly fifty year old sibling. Only Human fighter aside from H-19 capable of atmospheric reentry.
*H-21 Zero-Light reconaissance and hit and run fighter. Fragile but tremendously fast and maneuverable. Suffers from lack of sufficient arms to do any real damage.
*H-22 Mustang-The heavy fighter of the Human race, it is too slow to outfly the enemy fighters but it was never intended for that anyhow. It is designed for the soul purpose of delivering heavy rockets and even heavier torpedoes to capital ships. Due to the high risk in even attempting such a thing it is heavil protected with armor and powerful shields.
*Havoc- The ultimate space weapon. The Havoc is the most advanced fighter to be produced by any race. A large but incredible fast and heavily defended fighter it carries the Alexander Flight System which funnels all combat and flight information directly into the brain of the pilot. The pilot literally flies the fighter wth his/her mind which leaves the hands free to operate the incredible array of weapons that is at it's disposal. The Alexander System however is very dangerous over extended periods of time as the flow of information can use too much of the brains attention and cause a shock to the nervous system when it is deactivated possibly causing a coma or in advanced cases death.
I have my fightes all planned out especially the last one but my ship classes are still under work. Once they are ready I will need names for each individual ship and I plan to have over four hundred. While I will certainly not mention each and every one of them I would like to have names just the same.
I know the last fighter sounds kind of corny but I don't want to write another dull Military SF story where its all strategy with almost character development. The Havoc fighter is I believe the perfect tool for advancing my main character along as I am going to give him an individual enemy that will require the fighter to defeat but he will also have to deal with the fact that using the fighter could be lethal all on it's own.