PDA

View Full Version : New Work...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Holbrook
January 27th, 2003, 03:25 AM
This is a link to a piece of new work I have started.

Just the prologue....

Anyone want to take a look..... thanks

I have removed the link.....

Bardos
January 27th, 2003, 04:39 PM
I've read your piece, Holdbrook. I really liked it!

The only criticism I have is that, sometimes, I got a bit confused in the discription. But I think that the cause might be that I read it in some haste, so I'm not 100% sure it is confusing if read correctly. And I think it must be OK. ;)

Not to nit pick here, but some comas and semi-colons I think are missing. But with one revising you must be able to spot them immediately.

I, Brian
January 28th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Hmm...isn't there a security risk with downloading unscreened doc files? No offence intended, but if you unwittingly had a macrovirus, or similar, isn't there a danger of transmission by linking to .docs, rather than HTML pages?

Holbrook
January 28th, 2003, 04:02 PM
1. I run a full up to date belt and braces heavy duty Norton anti virus programme always have....

2. The link is to a small site set up for me by a friend, who by the way runs sites for a large protion of British industry. If there is a virus in his system then.....

3. The doc was up loaded from my computer to the site in the same manner I up load photographs.

4. Not one of my friends, whom I have transferred hundreds of documents with have screamed at me that I have transmitted a virus to them....

5. I take objection to such comments expressed on a forum where a Private message would have served the same propose.

6. I am removing my link..... so your fears of me giving anyone a virus mirco or not has been removed...

7. Stop putting an "E" on the end of my name.

I, Brian
January 29th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Cheer up - no offence was at all intended.

But it is an important point to consider. I mentioned such an issue in the open (for the second time to a second person) because I wanted to see if I would be corrected - not being an expert on virus transmissions. As no one has I figure it remains an issue that it's best not to link .doc files on the net - .html or even .pdf as much better, perhaps.

I've also seen serious nerds* talk of flaws in the big name anti-virus software when it comes to detecting trojans (where your PC can be remotely accessed online), though. Can a trojan move through the holes that macro-viruses can? No idea.

But don't take it personally - it wasn't intended that way. If you'd like to deal with the issue in private, feel free to PM myself though.

*intended politely

kegasaurus
February 1st, 2003, 05:31 AM
Throw the link back up H, as life's to short to worry.

On a related note, though not meant as insulting, it reminds me of something that happened on SNL the other week where a guy was too scared to open his e-mail because he was scared of getting anthrax.:D