PDA

View Full Version : Akira

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

saintjon
January 12th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Dark Horse comics is currently re-releasing Akira in a six-volume, black-and-white format. Anyone who considers themselves a fan of science-fiction owes it to themselves to read this series. I am on volume 5 and am absolutely amazed by its power and vision. If the idea of reading a comic book ruffles your feathers its time to swallow your pride, because Akira is unlike anything else.

saintjon
January 12th, 2002, 06:50 AM
come to think of it, I just read the "must-reads" section and NOM makes a good point. I don't want to come across as saying other works are bad or you're somehow inferior if you haven't read Akira. I just worry that it will be overlooked because it's so different from the things it invites comparison to. It's too visual and cinematic to be a novel and too involving and meaningful to be a "comic book". I read once that Akira is a true graphic novel and that seems to be the best way to describe it.

Alai
February 9th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Poor me, I can't buy the Akira books here in Sweden (they don't think they would sell here). I've just seen the movie and that was a fantastic picture, it can even be compared with Star Wars.

saintjon
February 12th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Poor you is right. The books are much better.

Alai
February 13th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Damn it, I want those books!!!