View Full Version : Guilty Pleasures

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Eldanuumea
February 4th, 2003, 07:32 AM
What historical films are your guilty pleasures....you secretly love them but hesitate to admit it to just anyone!

My all-time winner in this category would be "The Vikings" with Tony Curtis, Kirk Douglas, and Janet Leigh.
Remember the old crone throwing the bones, watching Eric in the crab pool, listening to the "Valkyries"....Odin's daughters......singing as they turn the tide and save him?
Remember the hokey amputated arm that was twice as long as his other one?
Remember Ernest Borgnine's look of mad triumph as Eric throws him the sword when he gets pitched into the wolf pit? (reason for Eric's loss of limb!)
Remember the neat knife-throwing episode with the adultress?
I could go on, but the bell has rung.....

Merancapeman
February 4th, 2003, 09:14 AM
oh, i guess i could say... "Ben Hur"

Eldanuumea
February 4th, 2003, 10:22 AM
"You will find them.....in the Valley......of the lepers!"

For years, I counted that as my all-time favorite movie. The climactic healing scene in the thunderstorm at the end will still give me chills....

How about the original Errol Flynn "Robin Hood"? The shifty look his eyes do when he is cornered in the sheriff's dining hall!

Merancapeman
February 4th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Never seen it, but have you seen "Men in tights"?

Eldanuumea
February 4th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Love it! "I'm on this side...I'm on that side....it just ain't that critical."

Merancapeman
February 4th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Or, how about...

"I am Iningo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!"

"Iconceivable!!!"

Eldanuumea
February 4th, 2003, 11:30 AM
What is the name of those swamp creatures again?

And how about "The Ten Commandments".......or better yet, "Sodom and Gomorra" with Stewart Granger as Lot!

Lifino
February 4th, 2003, 11:35 AM
R.O.U.S.es? Rodents of Unusual Sizes. I don't believe they exist at all... Well, with the one exception of Carmichael...

Eldanuumea
February 4th, 2003, 11:39 AM
ROTFLMAO :D :D :D

Lifino
February 4th, 2003, 12:00 PM
What about Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb...

Mr. President, you can't just let the Russian Ambassador in the war room! He-he might see the Big Board!

Or in a totaly different catagory:

David Bowie in Labyrinth:
http://www.theblisspages.com/images/labyrinth_film.jpg

Another great movie he was in was The Linguine Incident! If you haven't seen it I recomend it... If you don't like it, well I'm sorry, I haven't seen it in about 6 years, and I remember liking it at the time...