View Full Version : World building

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

pcarney
February 4th, 2003, 10:48 AM
How much time do you devote to world building before you begin a story? Do you consider this part of the preparation, included with writing an outline, etc?

Currently, I'm writing in a modern world, in which magic exists on the fringes. I'm still working out the particulars of this, but I decided to start the story/outlining anyway. I'm just worried that my story line might butt up against one of the holes in my world view.

Ciuva
February 4th, 2003, 12:13 PM
I used very little time on world building before I started my story. I only had the main character, her name and some other names before I started, and the name of the country. But then again, I had to start all over again. The last year I've spent most of the time world building, planning the plot and so on. I think I am ready to start writing again soon... But somehow I never seem to get finished with it... I think it's clever to plan and world build as much as you can before you start writing, because when you have started, it's much more difficult to change something if you find an error.

Chlestron
February 4th, 2003, 03:09 PM
I personally build my world as I go along, but also I model these new worlds on the existing one but subtling changing some things. I can see the advantage of building up the world and plot lines before actually committing anything to 'paper' but that just doesn't work for me.

Hereford Eye
February 4th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by pcarney
How much time do you devote to world building before you begin a story? Do you consider this part of the preparation, included with writing an outline, etc?
Depends on the story. If it is a short story, there isn't a lot to do; just enough to let the reader in on anything that bears on the point of the story. If it is a novel, then I spend more time because a lack of consistency in a story bugs me and I don't want to do the same to the reader. If I can get clear in my mind the context of the story, then I can explain it over time as it plays out in my story.

Richardb
February 5th, 2003, 11:30 AM
This topic came up before, I believe...
but, I spend massive amounts of time on world building. My stories generally evolve from the history, people, and places of the world. My best manuscript came after about a full year of world building: maps, history, places, and people. The story just sort of came out of a passage of the history.
If there was a market for folks to do nothing but worldbuilding (let someone else write those pesky stories) I'd be a happy man...

pcarney
February 5th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Richardb
This topic came up before, I believe...
but, I spend massive amounts of time on world building. My stories generally evolve from the history, people, and places of the world. My best manuscript came after about a full year of world building: maps, history, places, and people. The story just sort of came out of a passage of the history.
If there was a market for folks to do nothing but worldbuilding (let someone else write those pesky stories) I'd be a happy man...

I'm new to this forum.

You might be interested in this worldbuilding mailing email list-
http://www.nocturne.org/world/main/main.html

They sometimes get way off topic, but there's alot of bright ideas being passed around on it.

gabador
February 6th, 2003, 07:09 AM
I tend to build a lot of clod castles. Mostly stuff that I think of, but never write down. Like this character could do that, but then that character will do that in this place, and oooh, what if I have this place as well that I never had before.

This method does not work. It did before, but my thought process changed I think, and I find it easier to fall back on something, and look it up before I go any further with the writing.

Once I get time to write again, or when I get back the drive to do it, I will definitely sit down and create a concrete map, make up some legends, stories, facts, characters that will never be in the book, and most Importantly:

A plot.

Fyre
February 6th, 2003, 12:49 PM
I spend a very large amount of time on world building. I construct maps of my world, develop countries, histories, peoples, animals, and plants. Around 1/6 of my writing time is spent on world building. However, world building is NOT the most important part of your story. Characters and plot should always come first.

Richardb
February 6th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Fyre
I spend a very large amount of time on world building. I construct maps of my world, develop countries, histories, peoples, animals, and plants. Around 1/6 of my writing time is spent on world building. However, world building is NOT the most important part of your story. Characters and plot should always come first.
World building is definately not the most important part... it is the easy part in most ways. It is, however, for me, the most fun part. Plot and characters are the heart of any useful story -- agreed.

Pluvious
February 6th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Well....in science fiction and fantasy I would say world building is on par in importance to characters and plot. I can't think of a fantasy or science fiction I liked that didn't have a world concept that I didn't enjoy being a part of.

For me that's the excitement of reading/writing sci-fi/fantasy. Its the new world. Authors that don't make good use of this asset aren't likely to become well known in the field.

My main project I keep intermixing new ideas into old ones and the world/plot/characters simply continue to evolve as one. I don't see how any could be more important than any other. But that could simply be a personal preference...