View Full Version : Thought Process

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Aladrien
February 4th, 2003, 04:20 PM
I was wondering to all you writer's out there, which one of you are the pre-work people who think through what they are going to write and brain storm, who are the people who know what their stories about but nearly wing it, and the folks to sit down at the computer, stare at a blank screen and type 50 pages without any thought. I know I'm the last one. It's odd!

Holbrook
February 4th, 2003, 05:17 PM
I usually have an idea (very original I know;) ) Then I start to think on it, write out a rough outline, then try and start and write. Stop when I realise I need some research to be done on something I want to include. It helps if you know at least something of what ever you are trying to write about.

Read back what I have written. Scream! Cut and paste the bits I don't think are right onto another document and print them out just in case I go back that way.

I do plan, I do research and sometimes I wing it, if the story is set in my mind and I can base it, or work from stuff I know.

But I do need a guideline, a rough guide to where I am going. I might get side tracked but I get there....

I am in the first stage of starting a new story/book/ why do I do this to myself. It is going from planning, to research, to writing. The prologue is done, the outline laid down, though so much detail yet to be thought on and worked out.

I also have an imp on my shoulder *g* whose advice and comments are most welcome, though they do tend to add to my grey hair!

I am also dragging out the first book I ever wrote. It is coming out kicking and screaming, but I am going to try and hit it into some sort of decent shape over the next few months and try again with it.. Problem is I think it will gain a few thousand words in the process *sigh*

Aladrien
February 4th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Holbrook
I usually have an idea (very original I know;) ) Then I start to think on it, write out a rough outline, then try and start and write. Stop when I realise I need some research to be done on something I want to include. It helps if you know at least something of what ever you are trying to write about.

Read back what I have written. Scream! Cut and paste the bits I don't think are right onto another document and print them out just in case I go back that way.

I do plan, I do research and sometimes I wing it, if the story is set in my mind and I can base it, or work from stuff I know.

But I do need a guideline, a rough guide to where I am going. I might get side tracked but I get there....

I am in the first stage of starting a new story/book/ why do I do this to myself. It is going from planning, to research, to writing. The prologue is done, the outline laid down, though so much detail yet to be thought on and worked out.

I also have an imp on my shoulder *g* whose advice and comments are most welcome, though they do tend to add to my grey hair!

I am also dragging out the first book I ever wrote. It is coming out kicking and screaming, but I am going to try and hit it into some sort of decent shape over the next few months and try again with it.. Problem is I think it will gain a few thousand words in the process *sigh*

G eh? Imp. that's a curious creature. I haven't ever thought about that! I usually use hobgoblins, sprites, elves, dwarves...but never imps. Curious!

Cephus
February 4th, 2003, 05:48 PM
I always know exactly what's going on before I put the first word on paper, simply because I don't believe you can write a good story if you don't know what you're writing about. Granted, you don't have to go as far as I do, but you have to have SOME idea, even though I've run into people who claim that they can write great stories without having the slightest idea who their characters are, what the story is about, or even what genre they're writing in.

Chlestron
February 4th, 2003, 07:16 PM
I usually start with a general idea for a story and start writing. However, the progression of the story, major plot points, and whatnot are developed on the fly as it were.

Example: 'Hero' needs to gather 12 people for a ritual that must be performed every X years or an unspeakable evil Y will run amok.

That's the idea... but the fleshing out of that idea, as well as who the 12 people are, where this is going to take place, etc comes with the story.

For genre, I always know what my genre is before I get going. I don't necessarily know what it is when I'm done, but I know what it started out to be. (Dontcha hate when that fantasy story turns into a horror story?)

Aladrien
February 4th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Chlestron
I usually start with a general idea for a story and start writing. However, the progression of the story, major plot points, and whatnot are developed on the fly as it were.

Example: 'Hero' needs to gather 12 people for a ritual that must be performed every X years or an unspeakable evil Y will run amok.

That's the idea... but the fleshing out of that idea, as well as who the 12 people are, where this is going to take place, etc comes with the story.

For genre, I always know what my genre is before I get going. I don't necessarily know what it is when I'm done, but I know what it started out to be. (Dontcha hate when that fantasy story turns into a horror story?)

Hehe! Thanks for your input peeps, sorry about not enough output on my part but I'm in a rush! American idol's on! lol

milamber_reborn
February 4th, 2003, 10:48 PM
I plan considerably, but even a detailed guide leaves plenty to make up on the fly.

choppy
February 4th, 2003, 11:11 PM
I vary quite a bit in my degree of planning. In some cases I've worked out the nitty gritty details of the story's evolution all the way through. In others, I've just sat down started typing and low and behold a story comes out.

On one hand the planned story tends to come out a little better and require less polish. The thing is, writing for me is entertainment. And if I've already planned everything out, writing it is like watching a movie over again.

On the other hand my "write on the fly" stuff is like crude ore - a whole lot of useless crap with some precious gems burried here and there. With some considerable refining, I can develop something that's not too bad, but even that requires an element of "replanning" where I have to fill in the plot holes.

Cephus
February 5th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Chlestron

Nah, I didn't mean related genres... they could end up with horror or a children's book or poetry. They don't know! I guess it just magically happens.

kahnovitch
February 5th, 2003, 04:51 AM
I always have a rough idea of the story's beginning, middle and end, but while writing I do tend to do it "on-the-fly" until I hit a brick wall.
When that happens I'll generally move on to another part of the story and do the same thing.
I tend to write the beginning, middle and end all at the same time (if that makes any sense) and then edit and bridge the gaps to join it all up.