View Full Version : "The black hole"

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Duraccione
February 5th, 2003, 12:55 PM
In the early 80's - maybe even in the late 70's - I recall there was something called "The black hole": a movie, a comic, maybe even a book, I can't remember what precisely because in those years I was still an young boy and didn't care about science fiction.

In these days distant memories came to mind, but I can't focus nothing else but a spaceship and a sketch of the logo: is there a kind soul who can refresh my memories? Just to satisfy my curiosity. ;)

I thank you in advance :)

Lifino
February 5th, 2003, 01:02 PM
I think I saw this movie in the Theater! I was four years old!! Can't believe I still remember it. I actually thing about this movie every week or two...

Here's a link to some info, sorry couldn't find a pic to link to in this post:
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0078869\

Let me know if that's the one you were thinking of.

kahnovitch
February 5th, 2003, 03:07 PM
I remember it reasonably well.
A spaceship stumbled across a science station run by a mad scientist type (played by Maximillian Schell) who was infatuated with black holes and was studying them etc.
There was a big mean robot called Max with shredders and lasers for arms and a small good guy bot called V.I.N.C.E.N.T.
The hand-held laser guns were sort of double-barreled and fired simultanoeusly.
Bring back any memories?

Duraccione
February 5th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by kahnovitch
I remember it reasonably well.
A spaceship stumbled across a science station run by a mad scientist type (played by Maximillian Schell) who was infatuated with black holes and was studying them etc.
There was a big mean robot called Max with shredders and lasers for arms and a small good guy bot called V.I.N.C.E.N.T.
The hand-held laser guns were sort of double-barreled and fired simultanoeusly.
Bring back any memories?

Oh yessssss!!!! :)
I recall those guns, we all young guys went crazy pretending to have one in our hand, even a pen could become such a laser weapon! More memories are coming to my mind, but the doubts are still more than the certitudes. More than twenty years have passed since the last time I thought to this movie...
Do you recall how did it end? Did the scientist pass though the Black hole? And what's on the other side?

For Lifino: your link brought me to a huge movie database, where I was able to search for the movie's title and found some additional informations. But not the answer to the most important question: what's on the other side of the black hole? :D

I thank you all for your help.

Hobbit
February 5th, 2003, 07:19 PM
what's on the other side of the black hole?

Misoteuto: the ending was left deliberately ambiguous by the D****y corporation in an attempt to make their films more 'grown up'. (Shame about the Roddy McDowell robot.....)

If I remember right, the 'soul' of Maximillian Schell was incorporated into the body of his robot (though perhaps they were always part of the same thing?) and placed into some sort of Dante's Inferno or Hell - flames, tortured souls etc etc. The scientists passed through the hole into another galaxy/universe and the last thing seen in the movie was their spaceship sailing towards another galaxy.

Hobbit

Duraccione
February 6th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Ah, the classical ending that doesn't put an end to the story and keeps the door open for a sequel... ;)

I think I'll watch this movie as soon as I can rent it.

Han Solo
February 7th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Misoteuto
Ah, the classical ending that doesn't put an end to the story and keeps the door open for a sequel... ;)

But it didn't make the money required for a sequel.

Han Solo
February 7th, 2003, 11:39 AM
I liked the movie. Sure it was taking advantage of the Star Wars craze at the time. I was only 8 or 9 when it came out and it was cool. Not a perfect story but okay. I loved the music to the movie.

BigStinker
February 7th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Han Solo
I liked the movie. Sure it was taking advantage of the Star Wars craze at the time. I was only 8 or 9 when it came out and it was cool. Not a perfect story but okay. I loved the music to the movie.

And good Special Effects for the time. I loved the look of the black hole as well as the holographic display thingy which has since been used in many movies and tv shows.

Han Solo
February 7th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by BigStinker
And good Special Effects for the time. I loved the look of the black hole as well as the holographic display thingy which has since been used in many movies and tv shows.

Yeah, the I loved the Cygnus and the Palamino. I actually had a few action figures from the movie.