PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you get writer's block?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Drewby
February 13th, 2003, 10:55 PM
I have been trying to motivate myself to work on my story, but everytime I write a few chapters, I look over it and it is horrible. I am really running fresh out of ideas. Big time writer's block. So, the question is what do you do when you get writer's block?

Aik Haw
February 14th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Writer's block is exactly the same symptom as trying not to think of an elephant in an attempt to surpress the thought.

Highly unproductive, useless and vain attempt.

My style instead is to forget about it. Go play basketball, skateboard, play a game, watch a movie, sit down by the river and watch the crab and mudskipper scuttering around.

Inspiration will come flooding to you, crushing down the gate that barred your thoughts.

Holbrook
February 14th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Besides hitting my head against a brick wall.... Anything other than write.

Though at the moment I have to knock my outlines of various projects into some sort of sense for a third party and I feel as much like doing it as flying to the moon... Hopefully though over the next week I will get my finger out and do them......

Lucky Joe
February 14th, 2003, 07:35 AM
I usually just try and type something, anything, and see what happens, it doesn't always work though.:(

pcarney
February 14th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Like the others said, I put it aside. A solution will usually come bubbling up out of my subconcious after a couple days.

kahnovitch
February 14th, 2003, 08:14 AM
As was said before, not much you can do when it hits you, but writing is a fickle beast and the inspiration for the next line/chapter etc will come eventually. Just make sure you have a pen and paper or dictaphone next to your bed, as you may wake up at 3am with a brainstorm of new ideas, which can disappear as quickly as they appear.

Miriamele
February 14th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Try reading something fantasy-ish, like a book of world mythology or a medieval work like Beowulf to get the ideas flowing.

More importantly, you should keep a notebook and jot down ideas you have in it--when the ideas come to you that is--so that when you need a new idea you already have a bunch in one place.

Cephus
February 14th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Drewby
I have been trying to motivate myself to work on my story, but everytime I write a few chapters, I look over it and it is horrible. I am really running fresh out of ideas. Big time writer's block. So, the question is what do you do when you get writer's block?

Simple. Don't write. Do something else. Watch TV. Read a book. Go have fun. Ignore it entirely and the ideas will start to flow again.

My net connection has been out for a couple days. Instead of being online, I've finally been able to sit down and write. I did 42 pages yesterday and I'm thrilled with it.

Kilroy
February 14th, 2003, 04:36 PM
I don't get writers block.

Kilroy Was Here

Ozzie
February 18th, 2003, 05:48 PM
I invite my friends around.

We have a few medicinal drinks, the usual chatter and then I tell them what I've been working on (most of my friends have read drafts of my work) as soon as I reach the point where I've become blocked I'll be inundated with advice and ideas from them:D

Some good........some not so good:rolleyes: . But there is usually enough to light a spark in the back of my mind:)

Failing that I'll do anything but write......I'll just waste some time until the old grey matter feels like being creative again.