PDA

View Full Version : Koei Games

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Bond
February 13th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Since in some of the other threads we've been going on a retrospective of sorts, I'm wondering how many of you are familiar with the old Koei games. If you don't recall them these are games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambition, and Uncharted Waters just to name a few. Anyway I used to eat these games up. :)

Dominus
February 14th, 2003, 10:04 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about, so they must have been before my time. When exactly were they popular?

Miriamele
February 14th, 2003, 11:34 AM
I used to play Romance of the Three Kingdoms III on the playstation. My husband is completely addicted to that game, and has since looked everywhere to try and find a copy but no luck (we used to rent it from Blockbuster but it's not there anymore).

We haven't tried any of the newer versions.

saintjon
February 14th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Good lord, Romance rules baby!!!!

They're mostly busy making Dynasty Warriors games nowadays but whatever.

I recommend 6 Miri. Of the newer ones it incorporates the most good stuff from 3.

My buddy bought part 7 as soon as it came out last summer, and it's tremendously cool but it isn't multi-player! ARRRRRRGH WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? The best thing about those games is going to it all weekend with your buddies.

I find your personality really shows through in that game. My buddy Ran's tactics are much the same as those of a plague of locusts for example, while I prefer enlightened, benevolent rule. Our friend Trev would usually just huddle in one of the smaller towns on the empty part of the map and give us cash and food when we needed it :).

It's astounding some of the defensive battles you can win in those games. In part 6 I've fought off armies 3 times the size of my own. In part 3 my fave tactic was "wall-jumping". Get a small, highly trained army of guys with maxed morale and attack one of Cao Cao's satellite cities. Have my dudes use their morale boosted movement to jump the wall and assault his commander on the palace before reinforcements can even get their :D. They never knew what hit 'em!