View Full Version : Fantasy rant...amusing..I hope

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

pcarney
February 14th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Think I'll hit the bookstore at lunch today. Fine, I'll admit it- I read fantasy. Sure, there's alot of crap out there, but some of its pretty good. Of course, being a fantasy fan is not exactly something to brag about. You've seen us, at the bookstore..hunched down, intently staring at some book with a woman being ravished by a demon on the cover. As if it isn't bad enough that we read books with names like "The Demon Witch of Calandor" or "The Mighty Sword of Thrustonus", do they have to put such stupid cover art on them? When/if I get published I'd like to think I'll have some control over that. Can't we just put a 'normal' cover on it? Must it be a picture of some steroid freak beheading a dragon as a nymph looks on? Unless...they could put my face on the steroid freak's body.hee hee hee..that'd be wicked cool. And then, with the nymph, you could make her all hot, and you could see that she totally wants me...ya...

Uhm...I digress. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, nymphs- I mean fantasy. As much as I like the genre, I am freakin' fed up with the cliches. The stubborn dwarf. The aloof elf. And the good hearted little people that save the day. That roaring sound is not a jet engine, its Tolkien spinning in his grave at about million RPM. And what's with trilogies? Every fantasy writer has to work in trilogies or even longer series. I guess its so schlubs like me will go to the bookstore, pick up the newest one (with the brawny female warrior facing down a pale wizard on the cover) and go pay $8.00 for it.

Oh, who am I kidding? If I ever get published, it will probably be a trilogy about a quest a dwarf, elf and voluptuous female warrior take. The covers will feature demons, unicorns, women in metal bikinis and pale magicians. Now that would be cool...

Lucky Joe
February 14th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Lol!

If I ever get published - and I truly hope I will - they can put whatever they like on the cover. I used to think I'd like to take a firm hand with the cover art but to be entirely honest I'm not sure it even matters that much.

And the more nymphs the better!!!!!

I'm currently working on a trilogy - Oh dear:(

kahnovitch
February 14th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Cliche's in fantasy huh?
Like this for example?

http://www.woodej.clara.co.uk/Fantasy_Artwork/Fantasy_Art_3/FA0014/fa0014.jpg

At the same time though it probably grabs your attention and would make you pick up the book to have a closer look.
It's all in the packaging even if sometimes the content may not live up to expectations.
We are like kids in that sense. If you were to wrap (for example) a selection of birthday pressies in plain brown paper and just one in bright sparkling, silverly, star-spangled paper. We all know which an average kid would grab first. Despite it may contain an empty box and the others may be an X-box and selection of top games etc.

"The first bite is with the eye" as they say.

Lucky Joe
February 14th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Very true, but we would hope if we ever get published that the publisher would have some taste and not stick just any old thing on the cover.

I know I said they could stick anything on the cover but that might have been an ever so slight exaggeration.

I think the problem might be that sometimes the content exceeds the expectations the cover creates and thus leaves the book on the shelf.

Lucky Joe

pcarney
February 14th, 2003, 07:56 AM
I'm certainly not saying I'm above this stuff..hell, I've got bookshelfs full of these! Oddly enough, I think the phrase 'Don't judge a book by its cover' even applies here.

Lucky Joe- I'm with ya. If I ever do get published they can put whatever they want on the cover!

choppy
February 14th, 2003, 02:19 PM
I think that in the fantasy genre, there is a strong link between art and literature. I don't think publishers are trying to aim at cliches. They're trying to depict graphically the same kind of world that the reader enters in the story.

Why do people read fantasy in the first place? I'm sure there are many different reasons, but I think most people simply want to escape into a world where magic exists - where they can fill the roles of the "steroid freaks" who don't put up with all the crap tossed their way and they can engage in romantic interludes with nymph princesses and everything else. It would seem rather obvious then that you would advertise this with a cover depicting such a world.

pcarney
February 14th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by choppy
I think that in the fantasy genre, there is a strong link between art and literature. I don't think publishers are trying to aim at cliches. They're trying to depict graphically the same kind of world that the reader enters in the story.

Why do people read fantasy in the first place? I'm sure there are many different reasons, but I think most people simply want to escape into a world where magic exists - where they can fill the roles of the "steroid freaks" who don't put up with all the crap tossed their way and they can engage in romantic interludes with nymph princesses and everything else. It would seem rather obvious then that you would advertise this with a cover depicting such a world.

True, however, military novels usually have some ship, plane or somesort of hardware, but they don't have a picture of the soldier shooting the terrorist while the beautiful scientist looks on.

But then again, romance novels display the same sort of art that fantasy does. So perhaps its a genre thing.

That's an intresting comment about the link between fantasy art and writing. Does anyone here collect said art- that is the books of Boris Vallejo (sp) and such?

wolfshead
February 21st, 2003, 03:11 AM
There's some darn ugly covers out there, I agree (Darrell K. sweet in particular!!!). But the covers were a lot worse 30 years ago, believe me! The colours were more garish, the technique more slipshod, the barbarians bigger thewed and more sweaty, the women even more scantily clad. I swear they had a stock of these covers and just chose any old one, as they never matched ANYTHING in the book. Very embarrassing for an 11 year old to buy...

kahnovitch
February 21st, 2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by pcarney
Does anyone here collect said art- that is the books of Boris Vallejo (sp) and such?

I'm a big fan of Vallejo's art and also Julie Bell, who studied his style.
I posted a link to his site in another thread on this forum but here there are again if youy want to check them out.

http://www.borisjulie.com/

http://hebuss.free.fr/

I, Brian
February 25th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Generally, the covers reflect the content and market itself.