PDA

View Full Version : Inexperienced, but go the urge.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ceros
February 15th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Hi all,

I just joined this forum because I have a great love of writing. Unfortunately, I haven't put this to much practice. I've written a few short stories over time, but nothing I would class as even remotely what I'm capable of.

Recently, I fell in love with Frank Herbet's 'Dune' and Brian Herbet and Kevin Anderson's three preludes to Dune, 'House Atreides', 'House Harkonnen' and 'House Corrino'.

I haven't read the last five installments of Frank Herbet's original series (university student, have no money) but it's the first time I read anything that I would class as fantasy. Before that I really liked Dean Koontz' style and genre of modern sci-fi/suspense.

Now, I have this story poking at me, and I've started planning and world building, but I don't think I have the experience to write it, even though it won't leave me alone until it's done. Unfortunately, what I have in mind won't suffice for a short story or even a novella. It's too complex and has the potential to turn into a series if I do it right.

Is there a way I can do the planning and write down my ideas then forget it enough to work on something else? Now, especially as I only have one week before I go back to University to work on my 3d Animation degree.

pcarney
February 15th, 2003, 08:32 AM
That's easy enough- get a notebook, open a word doc, etc, and just write down everything you've been thinking of. YOu may want to just throw it all down at once, then go back and organize it.
As far as experience goes- in the end, that just comes from writing.
(Fear me, I am the master of the obvious!);)

ceros
February 15th, 2003, 09:54 AM
actually, i was thinking more along the lines of: is it possible to just forget about something like that when you've got more important things to do? ;)

Holbrook
February 15th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by ceros
Hi all,

Is there a way I can do the planning and write down my ideas then forget it enough to work on something else? Now, especially as I only have one week before I go back to University to work on my 3d Animation degree.

Errrrr.......

Monthly Staff meeting.....

"Well, lets hear from ***** about the progress of the ***** claim. Are they actually providing the correct backup information for ************************"

"Pardon? I was..... er..... never mind......"

In short NO

Pluvious
February 16th, 2003, 02:09 AM
More important things to do other than writing? Is that a joke?

Seriously, if you have the great beginnings of a large project and you feel you aren't experienced enough to write it then this is a great thing! Put it on file, think about it once and awhile, and add to it as time passes. In this way you can continue to improve the original idea as you read or experience new things.

Many published authors have wrote novles in this way. They come up with idea when they are young then work on something else while they learn enough to make this "epic type" project come to life.

Coconut Ent
February 17th, 2003, 06:10 AM
God knows, Tolkien took 30-40 years to create and refine Middle Earth, and about 10 years to write "Lord of the Rings".

Talk about "work in progress"!! ;) I don't know if I can do that.

James Barclay
February 25th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Some stuff is likely to bang around your head for years before it actually gets included in your work.

I was looking back at some notes for my next major project. One of the pages had a date. 1988... Time really does fly.

Point is, though it went to the back of my mind for a time, it never went away. But having written down notes whenever they occured, I am now in a far better position to bring it all to life.

Everything you write will improve your experience so don't fret about that. Just so long as you DO write. Could take you many drafts of various parts of your series before you're happy. Could take decades as mentioned. Probably not but it might. Whatever, you'll find ways to park your ideas when you need to. Just don't let them escape you.