View Full Version : Solid Gold!!!!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

saintjon
February 21st, 2003, 07:39 PM
Those of you who take the time to read my posts probably know me as a fan of Japanese animation by now.

I downloaded this older flick by the director of Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies called Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind and it was great! Truly one of the best fantasy flicks ever! The really astonishing thing is the amazing world they were able to build with only 2 hours of film time to work with. Animation was top-notch (but I think that's standard with Hayao Miyazaki.

Anyways, if you like fantasy/ sci-fi flicks in general or Japanese animation in particular you owe it to yourself to see this movie!

Cheers to Master Yuppa.

Twelve
February 23rd, 2003, 09:02 AM
"Princess Mononoke" was a confusing mess, and I only bought it because people were saying it was the "Star Wars" of animated films. Whatever.

However, "Grave of the Fireflies" was soooo good. I mean, I cried, and I don't cry for ANYTHING! I need to find and buy that movie...

As far as Nausicca, I'll keep what you said in mind...

Stewart
February 23rd, 2003, 10:25 PM
I loved Princess Monoke! I thought it was a very well done fantasy film. A little too gory at some points but well done.

juzzza
February 24th, 2003, 04:42 AM
saintjon or you other guys, can you recommend me some more anime movies, maybe giving your top ten.

I have just ordered Princess Mononoke based on this thread.

I loved Fist of the Northstar, Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D, so I would really appreciate recommendations based on similar lines.

Cheers

fluffy bunny
February 24th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Princess Mononoke
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Grave of the Fireflies
The Castle of Cagliostro
Escaflowne (for all those fantasy fans out there)
Perfect Blue

Spirited away's meant to be good, but not seen it

saintjon
February 24th, 2003, 11:33 AM
What's goin on here? I start a thread about Nausicaa and all you guys can talk about is Mononoke? lol Oh well, I've derailed plenty of threads in my time so it's only fair.

Anyways, my top ten list (in no particular order, I'll try not to repeat stuff that's been mentioned):

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

2. Cowboy Bebop (best TV series ever)

3. Akira

4. A Wind Named Amnesia

5. Street Fighter 2: the Animated Motion Picture (make sure you don't get suckered into buying V or Alpha)

6. Wings of Honneamise (only if you want to watch something with next to no action though, more of a personal struggle story)

7. Rurouni Kenshin OVAs (two DVD's worth of the sweetest sword combat ever animated)

8. Spriggan

9. Neon Genesis Evangelion

10. Angel Cop (ripe with tough characters and cool fight scenes)

trentdick2882
February 24th, 2003, 01:06 PM
No Ghost in the Shell saintjon?

MrKip
February 24th, 2003, 03:03 PM
I was about to say. Ghost in the Shell was class.

fluffy bunny
February 24th, 2003, 04:27 PM
problem with ghost in the shell for me was that it tries to cram too much in too short a time- wasn't as pleasant to go through as the manga

saintjon
February 24th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Well, I really liked Ghost in the Shell, but it was mentioned already so I figured I'd mention something else instead. Definitely it really set a gold-standard for animation quality. The explorations of losing humanity and defining life and all that are pretty cool to listen to also, but if you're looking for a pure shoot'em up funfest I'd say go with Angel Cop.

BTW, saw Grave of the Fireflies just now. Man, just when I got out of the dumps from reading Covenant I go and watch that flick *SNIFFLE*

It's amazing how thoroughly heart-wrenching a bunch of drawings can be.