PDA

View Full Version : Please Someone READ my Two Towers REVIEW

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Crysania
February 24th, 2003, 06:31 PM
I put my Two Towers review finally into the Two Towers Thread. I waited a while to see it and I was glad I did. It was fun and I had the whole theatre to myself. Read it!!!!

Crys - I'm putting a link in to (hopefully) take people there. Hobbit

Go to: Crysania's Review (www.sffworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=96412#post96412)

I, Brian
February 25th, 2003, 11:51 AM
My goodness - that's a very long review! In fact, it's not a review - it's an essay! Were you writing that while watching the film, or using a dictaphone?

Seen only once and actually didn;t care much for it. There was no magic - I mean that essence of magic that the books carry - it was all gone. Everything just looked shallow and depthless. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. Either way, I expect to like it again on DVD.

Btw - that wasn't a review just then - just personal heresy. ;)

Miriamele
February 25th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Crysania I was a bit shocked when I saw the length of your review, but nevertheless I read the whole thing.

Although your criticisms were sometimes worded rather harshly I did agree several of them--most notably about the lack of strength in Viggo's voice. You're right, he obviously hasn't done any theatre. I recall a few lines in FOTR when his voice sounded absolutely weiner-ish, like "by nightfall these hills will be swarming with orcs." He's a good actor, and rather good-looking to boot, but if he falls short anywhere it's with his voice. Ian McKellan's voice is far more powerful.

I too loathed the Aragorn-falling-off-a-cliff sequence. It really did seem like a big waste of time, as the Arwen flashbacks could have been added anywhere. I suppose PJ wanted to show how worried about him Eowyn was, or perhaps that he isn't invincible, but it really felt out of place to me. It's not necessary to the story so it should have been left out.

I also would have rather seen the Dunedain at Helm's Deep instead of the Elves. However, PJ was trying to make the movies accessible to those who hadn't read the books...and it would probably just confuse people if they showed up. (Everyone knows who the Elves are.)

I didn't agree with all of your complaints though. For example about Sam--I really like the movie Sam and I don't see a problem with the casting. And about Frodo acting young--in the book Frodo is indeed 50 something when the action starts but I think it works better making Sam and Frodo seem the same age since they are after all best friends. I don't think it really affects the story how old Frodo is anyway.

Hey, what's wrong with Aragorn's ring? I like it.

Anyway, like I've said in a few other threads, this movie is after all a MOVIE, not the book, so we should judge it as a movie. It might digress from the book in some ways but I think over all it's quite good.

Crysania
February 25th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Thank you for reading it! You made me happy! Just trying to find some people to discuss with.

:)

My friend who contributed to the review agrees with you - she likes Sam and the actor. So that's really to each his own, I guess. :)

Overall, I really liked the film. But like I said in the review it is IMPOSSIBLE for me not to compare it to the book. It's just impossible. That's like telling me to dye my hair blonde and forget that it was ever brown/black. :) Hahaha!

Anyway, yeah, the elves showing up instead of the Dunedain didn't piss me off- it didn't do disservice to the story, I just would've preferred the latter.

Hahaha! Aragorn's ring... I'll tell you what, I'd give ANYTHING for any of Arwen's wardrobe or Faramir's vest. I'm thinking of getting a sleevless tank top/t-shirt and trying to either iron on the white tree or paint it on with fabric paint. We'll see... let you guys know when I'm done with my pet project.

I am very much looking forward to RoTK. I love the storyline with Gollum so much in the film that I know I'm just going to start bawling in the theatre!

I, Brien... I hated FOTR first time around and really liked it alot upon the second viewing. So either go see TT again or definitely watch the DVD. :)

saintjon
February 26th, 2003, 09:24 PM
I read your review just now but I posted my response in the other thread.

Good luck with your shirt btw!