View Full Version : Who do you talk to?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

pcarney
February 27th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Do you have people you talk to about your writing? I'm fairly closed mouthed about mine- my friends know I write, but I rarely discuss what I'm working on, unless asked. I have to admit that a portion of this is that I'm somewhat reluctant to tell people I write fantasy,horror, etc. If probed, I refer to it as 'speculative fiction'.

I discuss the mechanics of writing with my wife (who writes mainstream stuff), but I don't get into plot details, etc with her.

I guess this is one of the reasons I'm glad I found this board. Oddly, since I started lurking/posting here, I've started to work on my writing a bit more!:)

I believe there are a couple of writers groups in the area, but I'm fairly busy and would prefer to spend more time writing then attending meetings. So in addition to my first question- do you belong to any writing groups?

Chlestron
February 27th, 2003, 11:58 AM
I broach the subject with my friends and if they seem interested, I keep going. My parents as well though I don't know how much of the stuff I've given them they've actually read. That and writing communities online

I, Brian
February 27th, 2003, 12:45 PM
People know what I'm doing - but I actively avoid discussing anything particular to my writing. I'll wait until I'm published, and then never shut up about it!

I do like to find other aspiring authors though - namely to see if I can offer any useful advice from my own experience and the books/resources I've used and located.

Twelve
February 27th, 2003, 04:19 PM
I only discuss my writing with a small circle of friends that I can trust...people who read fantasy. Then I try to find someone who doesn't know me at all to read what I've done, to give me a hopefully non-biased view of the work.

Cephus
February 27th, 2003, 05:35 PM
My family and friends certainly know that I write and what I write. My wife proofs all of my work and I have friends who also write, albeit in different formats, who will read what I do and give suggestions, just as I do for them.

I really don't like the idea of writer's groups, although I do participate in a couple of online groups and will proof other people's stuff. Unfortunately, they all tend to do short stories, and I never do, so none of my work ever gets up to be evaluated.

Lucky Joe
February 27th, 2003, 07:55 PM
I hardly know anybody that writes, I usually don't talk about it with my friends unless they ask, they all know I write, and occasionally when I've had a few cold ones and they ask I chew their ears off all night, but that's about it.

I was really pleased to find this forum as well, just reading through some of the threads and suggestions people make is really helpful, and of course now I have somewhere to talk about my writing experiences -limited though they are-.

milamber_reborn
February 27th, 2003, 11:43 PM
A friend of mine writes 1st person teenage, which is a bit different to my 3rd person fantasy, but I got him reading fantasy last year. He often tells me about his latest plot point and I give him a story of mine to read from time to time. Another good friend doesn't even read much and another reads fantasy, but doesn't write.

http://communities.msn.com/TheWritersAssociation is the writer group I belong to. Most are unpublished, but there is quite a lot of talent. About a dozen or so of us check into the forum frequently and our stories are put up for critique every week. There is no pressure to do anything, just to be serious about writing.

juzzza
February 28th, 2003, 04:51 AM
I have let a couple of close friends read my novel-length ms, but I usually avoid letting family or partners read my work until it is published.

This board is my only outlet, having honest, frank critique from independent sources is vital in my opinion.

This is also the only place where I ask writing-related questions. Let's face it, at SFFWORLD we have published authors, aspiring authors, genre fans and publishers all in one place ready to give their opinions, which are usually informed and constructive... *HUG*

Holbrook
February 28th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Hmmm..... Well I have used online critique groups as sounding boards for ideas. I used to enjoy the Delrey writer's group until it went "private fee paying" Then it seemed to get very elitist, you were either one of the 'in' crowd or not. I was a not*sigh*

Of late it has also turned into a thorn in my side so to speak. I always placed early drafts on the board, I wanted to bounce ideas off fellow writers, to find out if the piece had pace, was of interest. Had characters or plot situations that had depth.

What I got was grammar lessons, listing all my misplaced commas, full stops and odd spelling mistake. When I have said in my comments I didn't want that, I want thoughts on the flow and presentation of the "idea"

I know my grammar is my weak point and I always get any manuscript I intend to send off to a publisher edited for grammar by a third party.... (My dear friend/ pet demon from hell, who is not afraid to tell me I am writing rubbish)

And I also got comments like:

"You would do better if you didn't use English spelling and phrasing" ... Doh..... I am English... I don't want to write in quasi mid Atlantic English... I don't feel comfortable writing in that syle or manner *sigh*

"Do you have to use such words and method of expression, they are a bit complex" errrr...... I never write a word I don't use in speech and my way of expressing myself or "style" has come slowly and is part of my writing now. I doubt I could change it, even if I wanted to.

"Can you simplify the plot" i.e. dumb it down.... Nope.... sorry don't do that..... Won't is a better word. I won't insult the intelligence of my reader.

"You don't put enough detail in, I want to know everything the characters are doing, thinking etc etc..... " I want my words to spark the readers imagination. Is that too much to ask that the reader does a little work when reading... *sigh*

Enough to say I won't be renewing my fee for this group... But I have through it found a couple of fellow "exiles", with whom I swap half written manuscripts. All feel like I do, that bouncing ideas off each other and reading each others work, helps us as writers. We also share research info... i.e weapons, customs, dress etc the bare bones from which you can build your societies etc....

I have also found a few other friends here, with whom I bounce thoughts off and they off me.

I am also lucky I have a few published authors as e.mail acquaintances/friends. If any of them offer me advice I listen. I might not take their advice, but I certainly think hard about what they say... But I do that with anyone who actually does me the honour of reading my work and commenting on it. Save when they give me a grammar lesson *g*

kahnovitch
February 28th, 2003, 06:34 AM
This is the only place I really discuss it. There are a couple of members I've exchanged WIP with, although I have been going through a somewhat lazy spell at the mo so I haven't had much to throw around for critique recently. :o