View Full Version : Why do you write ?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ascendra
February 28th, 2003, 07:13 AM
I mean, what pushed you to write. Was it because you've read a book one day, and then you have told yourself "Well, I can do this too" ? Or just like this, a new passion coming from nowhere ?

Personaly, I started to write because I always invented stories in my mind, and I found one day it could be nice to have these ideas put on the paper. Especially for me to remind them when I would be older. This is how it started for me.

mistri
February 28th, 2003, 12:35 PM
I've written for basically forever and so can't really remember why it started.

I used to *ahem* copy out the beginnings of other people's books (like Enid Blyton - hey! I was six ;) ). Then I'd write my own story, inspired by the beginning of the old one.

I just wanted to write good stories that people could read. The same is pretty much true - apart from the copying bit of course - yes, I desire publication, but only really so people will have access to what I write. Money would be a nice extra that might allow me to spend even more time reading.

I, Brian
February 28th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Creativity demands to be expressed. You know that if you ignore it, it'll always come back and haunt you unrelentlessly. It insists on being freed. It insists that this is not simply a major responsibility - but also purpose - in your life.

Cephus
February 28th, 2003, 03:30 PM
I've always written, or at least created stories, ever since I can remember. I remember sitting in the front yard of my parent's house at about 8 years old, leaning against the big tree in the middle of the yard and writing mystery novels. Somewhere, those notebooks are still around, I'm sure, and I'd love to find them.

I write because I can't not write. There are stories inside that demand to come out. They demand to be told. I write to satisfy myself, not to make others happy and I think that's the ultimate reason for a writer to exist.

Stewart
February 28th, 2003, 05:32 PM
In the 1st grade we had an assignment where you had to make up a story, draw pictures for it and add dialogue for each picture. I had recently seen "Terminator 2" for the first time and was obsessed with it, but I also had a strange love for bunny rabbits. The two mixed and, "Termibunny" was born. After handing in my assignment and quickly failing it for the intense level of violence (I was a dessensitized little sh*t) I realized I had had a lot of fun with that assignment, so I got some paper and did one on my own. Then I got a Composition notebook and made a bigger one, eventually they got bigger and bigger until I dropped the pictures and used just words. I've been writing for nine years now.

Twelve
February 28th, 2003, 05:40 PM
I write because I can't do anything else as good. I knew that since I won an award for the best 50 word essay in kindegarten.(grin)

That may or may not be saying much about my other talents...:o

Lucky Joe
February 28th, 2003, 06:45 PM
To stay sane.
To explore the ideas that come to me and to see what i can learn about myself.

I can't remember a time when I didn't write.

ceros
February 28th, 2003, 09:24 PM
- I write because I have all of these ideas floating around in my head that wont see any scientific journal, but make good plots for stories.

- I write because I love reading, and want somebody else to get as much enjoyment as they do from what I write as I get from others.

milamber_reborn
February 28th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Sort of just crept up on me and developed into a whirlwind that wouldn't let go. I love writing and can't imagine doing anything else.

Pluvious
March 1st, 2003, 02:48 AM
I don't really consider myself a "writer". I'm just into bringing about those ideas that rattle around in my head. When I'm into something I usually get to the point where I feel like I can do something better than what is currently available.

I used to be into dungeons and dragons and I made my own world. I was into the game heroes of might and magic and I made an online tournament for that. I'm also working on making my own computer game.

The reason for all these ideas was because I didn't like what was currently available. So I had to do it myself. Its the same for me and my first fantasy series. That is my motivation.

And as I've gotten older the more time I'm willing to invest in my "hobbies". All of my projects I consider successful, simply because I enjoyed the journey and I achieved what I set out to do. Now I have set my goals even higher. It will be fun and I already know how to finish long projects. What could be better?