View Full Version : Piers Anthony

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cypher
March 1st, 2003, 07:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has read any of Piers Anthony's books? If you have could you please tell me some good ones? thanks a bunch

Dillon

Xepha
March 2nd, 2003, 04:55 AM
I think I have read most of his series to greater or lesser extent:

Bio of a space tyrant
Battle Circle
Adept
Incarnations of immortality
Xanth

to be honest I read a lot of Anthony when I was younger... some 20 years ago and at the time he was one of my favourite authors. I professed the 3 battle circle books to be amongst my top 10....

I came back to Anthony about 6 months ago and found that I had 'outgrown' his work to some extent. The books are still a great read but seem a bit contrived compared to a lot of material out there at the moment, saying that there are still some great reads...

Battle Circle is a great Barbarian adventure with a twist and some great characterization. I think fun and pacey would probably describe it best.

The Incarantions of Immortality are very good books imo and well worth a look.

I found the Bio series are quite hard going but a good departure from Anthony's fantasy fare.

Xanth are a good romp but in light fantasy I find Asprin and Pratchett to be more entertaining.

Like I said this is just my opinion and another reader may have a totally different opinion.

Cypher
March 2nd, 2003, 11:56 AM
thanks Xeptha, i was looking at the xanth novel's at barnes and noble. i was thinking about buyingit, but bought a warhammer 40k book instead. thanks!:D

Thekherham
April 19th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I just finished reading Piers Anthony's autobiography 'Bio of an Ogre.'

I haven't read any of his books yet, but maybe... I might check him out.

Just wondering what your opinion of him as a writer.

Davis Ashura
April 19th, 2004, 05:11 PM
I always liked Piers Anthony as a teenager, but as I've gotten older, I like him less. I think it's just because I read so much of his stuff, that I eventually got a little tired of it. In some ways it reads a bit juvenile now that I look back on it.

That said, I still like his work a lot because of the fondness I have for the stories that he told me.

Archren
April 19th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Radone, that's exactly my experience too. Anthony helped introduce me to modern fantasy when I was 12-13 years old, and I read tons of his stuff in between ages 12-16. I dropped it while I was busy with college and the like. Now when I look back on it, it doesn't hold up so well. The plots and characters seem pretty predicatble and a little juvenille. Still, I appreciate what it was like to read it all for the first time and enjoy it so much.

The ones that help up better over time have been the "Out of Phaze" series. I forget what the first book was... "Blue Adept?" perhaps?

Thekherham, if you don't mind me asking, what was it like to read the bio of an author whose works you hadn't read?

trentdick2882
April 19th, 2004, 07:11 PM
i enjoyed at least the original trilogy of Xanth books a lot, but they started to get pretty stale soon after. I remember enjoying at least the first two books from his Mode series a lot, though. I would recommend those over Xanth probably. He also had a book about a virtual reality gameworld that had a suicidal teenage girl and a guy in a wheelchair. I remember liking that a lot also, can't remember the name though. I haven't read any of his stuff in a while, so my opinion is dated, I'm sure I would still enjoy they now, maybe not as much, who knows.

JRMurdock
April 19th, 2004, 07:32 PM
I, as well, was seduced by Piers when I was younger. I still think his best work was Bio of a Space Tyrant, but it's been 20+ years since I've read it. Though predictable, I still think he's on OK read if you want light fantasy.

He's definately not in the caliber of the Williams, Jordans, Hobbs, (et al) who are the current epic writers. He was never a Tolkein, but he filled a void when Brooks was just too sterile.

phil_geo
April 20th, 2004, 11:02 AM
It's true that some of Piers Anthony's stuff is for younger people, and some of his books try waaaaay too hard, but a lot of his stuff is very good.

His Xanth series is very good for the first few books - the first trilogy for sure is excellent. I would say it is YA from what I remember. After the first trilogy it goes steadily downhill and at some point even 12 years olds think "This ain't what it used to be"

The Apprentice Adept series is excellent, or at least the original trilogy is. He eventually sold out and added about 4 more books - I haven't read those.

Finally, he wrote a trilogy called Omnivore, Orn and Ox that is also very good. This trilogy has a lot of really interesting stuff in it and some great ideas. Realize it was written in the 70's, so some of it seems a little dated, but it is well worth reading.

Shehzad
April 20th, 2004, 12:37 PM
I read quite a lot of Piers Anthony when I was younger. I guess I was quite disillusioned when I was through. I feel that he has a lot of good ideas, but then stretches them out until he rubs them in your face...

Typical examples: the Xanth series is good in the start but not worth 20+ books. Similarly the Apprentice Adept series has a good first trilogy but the next four books are awful. The Incarnations of Immortality series has a very nice 1st and 2nd book and an intriguing premise, but over the next 5 books it becomes unbearable. Bio of a Space Tyrant was spotty, and I gave it up after 3 books. And then I got Heroes Die, and never looked back...