PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read The Company of Glass by Valery Leith

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Thom
March 18th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Just finish reading the book. I found it pretty good and i would like to know what you think about this book.

Warewolf
March 18th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Thorn, glad to hear you enjoyed the book. Personally, I haven't read it yet, although I do have that and its sequel sitting on my shelf. Just waiting for book three to come out in mass market paperback so I can just read all three at once...

Thom
March 18th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Since you have the second book you would know what the title is. I would like to buy it

By the way do you know the title of the third book.
Thanks

e-Morgana
March 18th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Hi Thom. I haven't read the books yet but I've been looking at them and they're definately on my "to read" list.

Book 2 is The Riddled Night and Book 3 is Way of the Rose.

I'll be interested in what others have to say as well. Though I've learnt to stick with my gut instinct, so I'll no doubt read them whether they're recommended or not. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

estranghero
March 18th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Same here. Had the 1st book bought in the States, brought here. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Mebbe it's because I also luuuuv the title...

rune
September 17th, 2004, 11:08 AM
I've managed to get my hands on a copy on loan from the Library, once I get it read I'll have to post my thoughts :) I'd not heard of this author before so I hope I enjoy the book.

Priestvyrce
September 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Well, I've read all three books and I will state that they are pretty imaginative, but the author has a hard time completing all the side stories. What I mean, she has so many side stories going that when you really start getting interested in one, she'll jump to another that has nothing to do with the other story. And I wasn't always able to picture what was going on alot of the time.

But the worst for me was,I didn't care what happened to the characters. Well not totally true, but as I was finishing the second book, it became a trial to get involved with what was happening. The last book was just too long, actually the whole series was too long. I thought that alot of the story could've been shorten. I felt bogged down reading this series and had to force myself to finish the last book. Hopefully, you'll like it better, but I for one will not read another book by her.

Ingen_Jegger
September 19th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Well, I've read all three books and I will state that they are pretty imaginative, but the author has a hard time completing all the side stories. What I mean, she has so many side stories going that when you really start getting interested in one, she'll jump to another that has nothing to do with the other story. And I wasn't always able to picture what was going on alot of the time.

But the worst for me was,I didn't care what happened to the characters. Well not totally true, but as I was finishing the second book, it became a trial to get involved with what was happening. The last book was just too long, actually the whole series was too long. I thought that alot of the story could've been shorten. I felt bogged down reading this series and had to force myself to finish the last book. Hopefully, you'll like it better, but I for one will not read another book by her.

Wow, you have spoken my thoughts exactly. I think I stopped reading about 20-30 pages from the end - never a good sign.

Lowlander
September 22nd, 2004, 07:59 AM
Read the first book myself : not a bad read but not good
enough to go on with the rest of the series.

By the way, Valerie Leith is a pen name. The author really
is Tricia Sullivan, who wrote some cyberpunk-near future
SF novels in the 90's. I suppose she wanted to write
fantasy under another name. Or perhaps she didn't want
to comprimise her reputation as a SF writer.
It's also possible her publisher thought Valerie Leith was
a better name on the cover. Who knows the mysterious
ways of the publishing game.

Khallandra
September 25th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Meh I read the lot not overly good in my humble opinion - got a little confused with what was going on with the giant worm but got a grasp on it then lost it again - read it if you like to figure out what is going on - maybe Erikson fans (though I love Erikson - he just confuses in a nice way ;) )