PDA

View Full Version : I've given up on my novel.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Stewart
March 8th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I have been trying to write this stupid thing forever and have gotten nowhere, everything I write sounds silly and I have come to a conclusion. It is because the idea of the story is silly! When I look over the outline it sounds like a Star Wars film or a bad anime! I have given many years of work to this project, three to be exact. That may not seem like much but considering I was thirteen when I started it is around a fifth of my lifespan. I finished a sloppy copy from which I gained much good experience and practice from but now it's time to move on and work on one of my other ideas that may yet bear more fruit.
:(

mistri
March 8th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Put it down for a week, or a month, or longer - long enough to give you some distance and perspective. Then you can look at it without all the feelings of frustration and 'failure' that you're feeling now. Then you can make a clear, and fairer decision as to whether it's worth continuing with your idea.

And if it honestly isn't something you want to carry on with, there may still be ways to use what you've done. Maybe there's part of the plot, or a character, or just a few lines of dialogue that you can use in another story. Nothing is ever a waste - at the very least it's all been practice.

And if you start something anew then you will have learnt from past mistakes, and that can only help improve your writing.

So don't feel too down - and keep on writing!

choppy
March 8th, 2003, 06:30 PM
I've been having a rather frustrating day today too. The old idea well just seems to be dry - and on one of those days where I actually have time to write. Arrgh!

I don't think that any time you spend working on your novel is wasted time - especially at your age. I'm sure that the activity has done wonders to strengthen your skills as a writer.

Chlestron
March 8th, 2003, 10:29 PM
I agree.. set it aside for a while and try to work on other stories. If you can't seem to get it out of your head then that's great. If you forget completely about it and can't get back into it when you pick it up again, it wasn't meant to be.

Stewart
March 8th, 2003, 10:37 PM
I could leave the option open while I work on something, but I must admit I am depressed as I wanted this to be the first thing I ever published. Not to say I would've gotten it published, but I wanted to try.

Aik Haw
March 8th, 2003, 11:26 PM
A bird do not fly on the first flap of it's wings, nor do a child triumph at his first word.

Stewart, you wasted nothing.....haven't you learnt a lot in this attempt?

Cephus
March 9th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Stewart
I have been trying to write this stupid thing forever and have gotten nowhere, everything I write sounds silly and I have come to a conclusion. It is because the idea of the story is silly! When I look over the outline it sounds like a Star Wars film or a bad anime! I have given many years of work to this project, three to be exact. That may not seem like much but considering I was thirteen when I started it is around a fifth of my lifespan. I finished a sloppy copy from which I gained much good experience and practice from but now it's time to move on and work on one of my other ideas that may yet bear more fruit.
:(

Put it down and go do something you enjoy. Think about anything but your novel. Take up a new hobby. Read some books. Give it a couple weeks or months and then look at it again. Give it to someone else to read and have them make suggestions.

The whole point of writing is to enjoy yourself. If you're not enjoying yourself, it's time to do something else until the muse strikes again.

Lucky Joe
March 9th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Stewart; I felt exactly the same way about my first novel about 18 months ago, I'd spent so much time working on it (About 3 years) and no matter what I did it just didn't seem like it was working for me, I think part of the problem was that everything was so mixed up in my head I couldn't even look at it without becoming confussed.

So in the end I put it aside and decided to work on something else which is quite possibly the best thing I could have done, I've since realised that the original fantasy series i was working on isn't the only thing I'll ever work on and that I have other ideas that mean just as much too me. I've just finished a sci-fi stand alone which I really enjoyed working on and learnt heaps from. I've also just returned to my original ms and though I can see it isn't my best work, I can also see that it has a lot of potential and that going to work on it now with the new skills I have, that I'll have a much better chance of shaping it into the work I want it to be.

And I don't think any time spent writing is a waste of time, even if the work you produce never sees the light of day.

I, Brian
March 9th, 2003, 04:23 PM
It's all a process of growth and learning. Nothing is ever wasted.

milamber_reborn
March 10th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Keep your passion and dedication to writing intact and simply put it aside for later while you start on something new and refreshing.