View Full Version : Equilibrium

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Aylis
March 8th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Anyone see this movie? I just found out about it. Apparently it came out December last year. It was interesting and it had LOTS of nice eye candy. Eye candy as in guns n stuff.

Well, if you haven't heard of it, it's basically set in the future where people have eliminated their emotions, using drugs. They did that because they figured that since emotions are the cause of war, they should get rid of their emotions in order to get rid of war.

But yeah, pretty interesting, I thought. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this movie.

kater
March 8th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Does it have Christian Bale in it?

Aylis
March 8th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Yeah... Christian Bale, Emily Watson, Taye Diggs, Angus Macfadyen, Sean Bean, Matthew Harbour, William Fichtner, and Dominic Purcell.

kater
March 9th, 2003, 01:16 AM
Yeah I saw it - it was a kinda Matrix rip off and the whole Black/White metaphor was a bit obvious but I did enjoy the fight scenes, anything with swords is cool :D I guess this film just slipped under the radar without a big name draw :(

juzzza
May 21st, 2003, 08:54 AM
I saw this movie last night, bought the US import DVD.

I thought it was VERY GOOD.

I must admit, I made a conscious decision to avoid it at the cinema as I wasn't expecting much, I can see why people consider it to be a poor-man's Matrix however, I feel it deserves better than that.

***********MILD SPOILERS**************

The bleak futuristic setting and the agent-like clerics, not to mention the fight scenes (although wire-fu is limited) are why the Matrix comparisons are plentiful.

However, there are some really nice touches here. The whole feel is very dark and the characters are almost grey in style and look during the first half of the film. But as emotions filter into the main characters, colour is introduced, literally to the photography and to the depth of the main character.

The last few fight sequences are awesome, I especially loved the idea of this Gun Kata fighting technique. Bale pulls off the physical work in the movie and anyone who plays Bateman in American Psycho has the grit for the emotion-free Cleric character.

It may be that it was simply better than average but my expectations were so low it pleasantly surprised me, but it is leagues above The One, although still tugging at the pant leg of The Matrix.

Jack Burton
May 25th, 2003, 11:01 AM
I completely forgot about this flick! I think I shall rent it tonight!

bethc
May 27th, 2003, 12:25 AM
I LOVE SWORDS!!!!! Where would I find it, here in the States? (the USA, that is). Plus, Sean Bean is one of my favorite actors. Can I find it at Blockbuster?

Oorag
May 27th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Heh, not much swords or Sean Bean in Equilibrium, but its a solid movie. Its quite impressive what they got done with the budget they had.

Iskaral Pust
May 29th, 2003, 01:59 PM
I thought the fighting was cooler than in the Matrix, very atmospheric as well. That kid was pretty freaky

ZombieQueen
June 8th, 2003, 01:14 AM
I watched this last weekend and thought it was pretty good.
It sort of reminded me of 1984 with the matrix. And im suprised it didn't get any major attention.