View Full Version : Discipline

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Hereford Eye
March 9th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Over the years, I have read here and there of successful authors tricks for staying disciplined and I guess I just blew most of them off. I had a year to write and I did every day with no trouble about what to work on but when nothing sold I returned to the workplace. Now, writing is a part time thing and I find myself believing it's because I have a day job and I get tired and....a thousand other excuses. These days it seems as if playing on the web is just more fun than writing. It didn't use to be that way.

So, what are your secrets? How do you get yourself kicked in the pants to get back to doing what you really love to do?

Lucky Joe
March 9th, 2003, 08:28 AM
It can be hard, But I set myself goals and try to take steps towards achieving them every day, and even if i don't manage it I believe having the goals in place helps me get further than I would without them.

Holbrook
March 9th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Being Stubborn helps.

Far more of my work lies half finished, in part or a couple of chapters and strange waffling outlines, than has very become "finished"

The last effort took me about 7 months to write the 87,000 words another 2 to get it edited and out to the first publisher on my list. I gave up on it a couple of times, believe it or not my ego is very brittle. In fact egg shell thin. I only finished it because I screwed my courage up and made myself sit at the machine and write it. I swing from thinking my work is good, to believing that I would be better off forgetting about the whole writing thing and let it fade away as a bad joke on me.

Many kind folks have helped support me with encouraging words and thoughts but in the end my self-doubt remains.

I am not writing new stuff at the moment, as I just haven't got the time or strength. By the time I get time on the machine at the moment, I am too tired to much else but surf the net or read through my first effort and edit it a bit.

I have at times spent as many as 8 hours a day writing, fitting it in here and there and plonking away on the machine to the small hours. At the moment I find I am avoiding it in many ways, watching TV and reading in any spare time.

Twelve
March 9th, 2003, 02:01 PM
What helps me to stay disciplined with writing is to make sure I stay disciplined with other aspects of my life...writing usually tags along.

If I slack off one day, I make up for it BIG time the next day.

When I read other works, I feel inspired to write myself.

Before writing, I always do pushups and situps, take a walk, clean a bit around the house, take a shower.... and then I'm all PUMPED to sit down and write something!

The only thing that messes me up at time are EMAILS...argh...

mistri
March 9th, 2003, 04:14 PM
*sigh* I'm not very disciplined. I tried nanowrimo in November but only lasted halfway through before the pressure got too great.

My problem is setting too high a word count for each day and then beating myself up when I don't make it.

At the moment I'm just trying to make sure that I write something every day - no matter how small - and this seems to be helping, if only so I can get used to writing every day.

But it really doesn't help that I have so much work to do at the moment - most nights I bring work home, and so unless I can do some writing on the tube (London Underground) on the way to work, that's often it for the day. I'm always totally exhausted by the weekend.

However, whenever I have a bad day at work it does motivate me to write more - as I'd rather write fulltime than do my current day job.

pcarney
March 9th, 2003, 04:36 PM
I set aside two nights a week where I MUST write. Of course, I write on other days when I can/want to, but I make sure I sit down infront of my computer on those two nights (from about 8-11) and work on something.

Cephus
March 9th, 2003, 11:35 PM
I don't write every day and I don't pretend to. There are times when I'll write every day for weeks or months on end, then I'll stop, like I am currently, while working out details in my head.

At the moment, I'm facing a moment I've dreaded, where my current WIP radically changes direction. Frankly, I don't know exactly how to handle it so I'm letting it percolate for a while before I start writing again. If that takes a couple weeks or months, so be it. I've got time.

Lucky Joe
March 10th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Holbrook

I swing from thinking my work is good, to believing that I would be better off forgetting about the whole writing thing and let it fade away as a bad joke on me.

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you mean and tend to go through this cycle at least once a month.

Rocket Sheep
March 10th, 2003, 02:53 AM
I have to write to make money, especially in term 4 when my presenting work dries up.

I use the net as a reward for a few hours writing. I use it to stir up the brain cells over lunch or after a long day. I had to impose a few rules tho: no chats (apart from Wed night when I host an author chat at another forum), only post at my 3 favourite forums and only use it for break time... deadlines have to come first.

Wonderful things deadlines... I love the sound they make as they go whooshing by.

My advice... get back into writing... sometimes you spend so long procrastinating you don't actually spend enough time writing to realise that you still love it... give it a chance and write what YOU like or you won't be able to sustain it.

milamber_reborn
March 10th, 2003, 04:12 AM
I'm serious about my writing and I thoroughly enjoy it, therefore I love to sit at the PC and write. Sometimes the ideas don't quite flow, but I don't let that bother me. Recently I had monitor troubles so I had to stop writing for almost 2 weeks in the middle of a short story. It took a couple of days to slip back into the routine and get the flow going again. Now it's business as usual.

Writing comes easier to some than others, so I guess my only advice is to keep writing as often as you can to keep the flow going. And enjoy it.