View Full Version : where do you write?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

pcarney
March 9th, 2003, 04:45 PM
I find that I require a few things before I can write (fiction, not job stuff). I need to be in my home office, with the door closed, and some sort of music on (usually ambient electronica). I usually need a drink, and I find I'm very irritated if anyone disturbes me.

How about you? And do you think its important to be able to write anywhere?

Singleton
March 9th, 2003, 05:03 PM
I write at my computer with loud music spilling forth. I find that I write best late at night, with one lonely little lamp on next to the computer. There's something about the feeling of being an island in the dark, all hunched over the computer, that makes me think better. A glass of water helps too.

The only time I EVER write earlier than 11 is if I just thought of the greatest idea and am deathly afraid that I will either forget it, or it won't seem so great if I wait too long to write it.

Aik Haw
March 9th, 2003, 05:34 PM
I write whenever I am free and can write as long as I am alone, regardless of day or night. I occasionally employ the use of music but usually, I do it in near silence, broken only by a dog bark, neighbours arguing or something not out from the normal background noise.

I can't write however if there is even someone else in the room remaining perfectly quiet and sleeping without snoring.

I occasionally write in the forest, but I learnt the hard way that ants tend to like your notebook.

James Barclay
March 9th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Where? Anywhere. Train, pub, coffee shop, park, my desk... So long as I have a notebook with me.

Advice - don't slave yourself to a certain set of conditions. Someday, they might not work.

mistri
March 9th, 2003, 05:46 PM
I write at home (sofa with handheld PC or at computer).

On PDA on public transport. On paper if I forget PDA.

At work on the PC if I get there early enough to do my own stuff.

I find it hard to work with my husband around for some reason, and I sometimes find the net more of a curse than a blessing - i.e. sometimes I only write when I've read all of my regular sites (3 writing sites and a buffy site). Music is okay as long as I don't end up singing instead of writing. But I can cope and write in most situations (unless people are tapping grrrr).

Tiwaz
March 9th, 2003, 05:48 PM
I school at home, and so I know that for me, it's very important where I work, school, writing, what have you. Like I can't work on my History at the table where I eat. I can't even work on my writing where I work on my school, it has to be at my personal desk.

As for the time of day, night time is the best, but not approved of. hehe. It's the guarantee that I wont be disturbed, I can zero in and focus for hours. I gotta be alone.

Music helps. I don't care for vocals, they either distract or irritate me. Mostly I use it for drowning out other sounds.

Tiwaz

Cephus
March 9th, 2003, 11:28 PM
At home, in my office, on my computer. Must be absolutely quiet, I can't think if music is playing or anything else. If I'm just brainstorming, it doesn't matter, I carry a microcassette recorder with me most places to get notes and ideas.

milamber_reborn
March 10th, 2003, 04:21 AM
In my bedroom on my PC. Door closed. No music. Get annoyed if people are making too much noise in the background.

Twelve
March 10th, 2003, 04:08 PM
I write in what observers call my "cave". No matter how the weather is, I close all of the shutters. Outside distracts me.

I get into the corner of my room where my computer is and switch on a small lamp. Then I get to work.

Holbrook
March 10th, 2003, 04:32 PM
In my head, seriously, I find I tend to think about my writing as I am doing other things. The trick is to remember that bit of story you thought of when you actually get 5 mins to jot it down.

Often a whole piece has been thought on and chewed over in my mind for a day, then it goes down real fast. If I just sit at the machine and try to write it doesn't often work *sigh*