View Full Version : two page limit?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Blizzaurel
March 10th, 2003, 05:19 PM
ugh, every time i try to write a story, i write about two pages and then can't go any further and always end up tearing it up in disgust :(
help???
i even once wrote six pages, and had a history and everything, but i always seem to get so bored with whatever i'm writing... maybe i'm just not suited to stories? i write poetry, too, and maybe that's my strength??
help (again :) ) ???

Lucky Joe
March 10th, 2003, 07:00 PM
I am by no means an expert but I usually find when I can't progress with a story it's because I haven't planned what's supposed to be happening next. So I go back over what I've done, think about where I want to go and how I want to get there.

I don't know if this will help but I hope so.

choppy
March 10th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Pass me an oar 'cause I'm in the same boat!

Well, actually I can usually make it past two pages - but I frequently find that I abandon things before I really give them a chance.

For me, a big part of this is because of schedule. One of the largest complaints among aspiring writers is that we don't have the time we'd like to put into our writing. My schedule is very sporatic so it's not like I can reserve a time slot between 8:00 and 10:00 pm every night to devote to writing. As a result I find I'll be able to work on something for a week, and then I have to put is down for a week, then a week later I have new inspiration and can't remember half of what excited me about the main story in the first place.

Lucky Joe hit the nail on the head when he mentioned planning. For the odd project that I have been able to finish, it took a lot of planning. Otherwise I ended up just writing a "scene" rather than a story.

Another hint might be to give yourself more of a chance. Even if you feel like you're writing crap you can try to go with it anyway. A page or two later you might realize that it's not all that bad - then you can always go back and edit what you still don't like.

Duarh
March 11th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Same here :). If I don't plan a story through, I'll very rarely be able to get it done in one sitting. If I get stuck & leave the story to itself for a while, it's likely I'll forget about it or will only have time for it again when I've forgotten everything about it. . .

:) yes, planning seems like a good idea. but i'm always loath to do it.

pcarney
March 11th, 2003, 07:01 AM
I've had the same problem time and again. So this time, I'm writing a detailed outline before I write a single full sentence. This way, if I hit a snag and get frustrated by a scene or chapter, I can jump to another piece for a bit.

Blizzaurel
March 11th, 2003, 10:49 AM
haha i'm so glad so many people have the same problem as me that makes me feel better :D !

yeah, once i planned out this story for so long, but it still ended up going nowhere because it just bored me and i felt so frustrated with all the problems in it...
but i think the planning thing is definitely good advice, i probably just planned out a bad story that time, thanks for the help everyone :)

Jude
March 11th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Remember, Blizz, you're your own worst critic. And always keep in mind, no matter how bad you think it is, it's still practice, it's still writing and every bad word, sentence, etc you commit to paper will get better with every other writing. Therefore, nothing is ever wasted.

Twelve
March 11th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Make an outline of the story you want first. Don't even begin writing yet...just write a short note of what you want to happen in every chapter until you have the whole thing VERY briefly out in front of you.

Then begin writing according to the model you've made.

This might sound boring(I've heard some writers say that they don't want to do this because then the ending is spoiled for them....go figure!), but there is PLENTY of adventure to be had as you write.

You can make all kinds of additions, changes, whatever....just roughly stick with your outline and you'll be amazed at how much you can do.

This works for me...

Kilroy
March 12th, 2003, 09:00 PM
I have that same type of problem. 'cept it's at about 20 pages. I think up these brilliant stories that i try to turn into novels but by the time i hit the 20th page, I'm bored with it or something new came up. What i did was attack it from a different angles. I'm writing a short story series at the moment. Each story only reaches about 10 pages but collectively i've gotten to 55 pages of the full story. It depends on how fast you see results. The other thing is that you don't fret over the story til it's done. When you sit down and write, write for you. The only thing you should be focused on is getting to the end of the story. When you're done you can go back over it and edit, then you can rip it up if you want to but you'll at least have the ability to go back and edit it.
But that's just my two cents.

Kilroy Was Here

Singleton
March 12th, 2003, 09:42 PM
I find that with my stories, I'm only half done when I get to the end of the narrative. If it took a week to write it all down, it'll take the next week to edit it, the next for it to ferment in the cupboard, and the third for me to come back to it with new perspective, where I do my "final" editing.