PDA

View Full Version : Narnia - The MOVIES!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Evil Agent
March 18th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Just thought I would start up a new thread to get all of your opinions on the recently announced Narnia film(s).

All I know for sure is that they are making "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" first, and that WETA (Yes, as in The Lord of the Rings WETA) got the contract to do the effects.

I haven't read the books in about 10 years, but I LOVED them as a kid. Probably the first books to get me into reading. I also remember loving the cartoon and even the campy BBC.

So... who should play who? What are you looking forward to? Should they do all 7 books?

Bond
March 18th, 2003, 12:47 AM
My first impression is that this will be difficult to execute well. Narnia is more surreal a world than Middle-Earth approaching the capricious whimsy of Alice's Wonderland and I haven't really seen a real life adaptation of the latter that I found convincing. Anyway, good luck to them.

allanon
March 18th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Of course! The books rules!

trentdick2882
March 18th, 2003, 01:40 AM
I loved the live action Alice in Wonderland as a kid. Plus they had the live action Into the Looking Glass. With WETA, i'm sure they can accomplish The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I've just been re-reading the entire Narnia series. Hopefully the first one will do well so others can be made. By the way, shouldn't this be in the movies forum?

fluffy bunny
March 18th, 2003, 02:26 AM
I thought the bbc show was good, and captured nearly everything the books were trying to get across in a nice stagey way without putting style over substance.

Not convinvced about hollwood and the reinterpretation of some earlier stories- look at the recent scooby doo and thomas the tank engine. Who's doing the script this time?

TheElusiveCamel
March 18th, 2003, 04:10 AM
oh god this brings back memories. I used to love the bbc show as a child and then in the holidays i got bored enough to watch it again and it was shocking!:o

I think they should just leave it alone, it's been damaged enough.

Cannon Fodder
March 18th, 2003, 06:47 AM
I can't say I like the idea very much. I've never understood the desire some people have to see the movie versions of most books that they like. Generally adaptations, in my experience, are usually pretty disappointing as well, and I'm dubious that a hollywood version of Narnia would actually work. The BBC versions of the first four books were pretty good though.

Evil Agent
March 18th, 2003, 03:27 PM
So some of you liked the BBC versions, eh?
I don't really remember them THAT clearly, but I do remember thinking that the casting was all wrong.

But what's all this talk about not adapting books? FANTASY books at that? Isn't that what the whole Lord of the Rings thing is about? It's cleared the way and opened film up for more fabulous interpretations of Fantasy literature. I mean, everyone seems to love Harry Potter too. Why NOT Narnia?

As for it being too surreal, I understand what you mean. But I don't think that will pose too much of a problem. Narnia never gets so surreal as to be falling apart. It will always be able to be portrayed visually, as a secondary world. And as for modern adaptations of earlier style works, how can you bring up Scooby-Doo? That's a 1970's mystery cartoon!!! Far better to look at, oh, say, THE LORD OF THE RINGS, which is FAR older than Scooby, and has stood up remarkably well to the modern adaptation process.

fluffy bunny
March 18th, 2003, 03:37 PM
If they can screw up scooby doo, they can screw up anything.

Besides a lot of novels get butchered on the way to becoming films (different media need different ways of writing- characters' thoughts and intentions can be portrayed one way in a book, but for such intentions and thoughts to come across in a film, it requires a lot of work on the part of the cast, script writer and director to do it justice- not just the special effects dept.).

LOTR was an exception to the normal crap adaptation thingy- but you can see the amount of work put into it. What would have been turned out if it was say... Paul Anderson (mortal combat, resident evil) converting the script and directing the thing rather than Peter Jackson?. So I ask again who is scripting the Narnia thing?

Special effects should enhance the movie, not be the movie.

Rachel
March 18th, 2003, 11:39 PM
I love the Narnia books and try to read them at least once a year (I own a nice boxed set). I'm honestly excited -- once I get into something, I like to see it in every form and interpretation. For example, if a book I love gets made into a movie, I want to know all about it and will see it, even if it's crap.

I didn't like the BBC productions. I also agree that the casting was all wrong. And Aslan wasn't ... majestic enough. He was just a big puppet and didn't make me feel that "Ooh." But if WETA is doing Narnia, I'm guessing that won't be a problem. :D

I too hope that we get a director/script writer who is to Narnia as Peter Jackson was to LOTR ... that would be amazing.
--Rachel