PDA

View Full Version : Weird places for story ideas?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Cephus
March 18th, 2003, 02:12 PM
What's the strangest place you got a story idea from? Last night, I was watching TV and a commercial for DirecTV came on. Within minutes, I had the kernel of a new story out of what happened in the commercial.

Anyone else?

wolfie
March 18th, 2003, 07:49 PM
:rolleyes: hmmmm....well, can't say that it's strange, sometimes I'm just gripped by a story idea, at the strangest moments and I try to jot it down on something, anything, napkins, wrappers, whatever.

Recently, driving through a thick fog cover, I got an idea for a short story revolving around a cemetery in the mists. A box of Lucky Charms inspired me to write a short story for St Paddy's Day revolving around a few pesky leprechauns titled *smirks* "Lucky Charms" and a post card showing a sand castle inspired a story called "Castles in the Sky". But, thinking about it, I don't really have a truly funny moment of inspiration. But I know that there has got to be some out there...hehehe. Oh, well...I tried!

Lucky Joe
March 18th, 2003, 09:53 PM
My most annoying habbit is of tuning out when people who don't interest me are talking, (Yes I know that's really rude I just can't help it) and quite often I find myself going over ideas for stories. Then have too tune back into what's being said so that I can figure out a way of disengaging myself so i can scurry away and write down my ideas.:D

milamber_reborn
March 18th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Strangest would be whilst walking past a large tree. Gave me an idea for one of my best short strories.

Usually get ideas at night whehn I'm desperately trying to fall asleep, or whilst watching TV, or walking (which means I have to remember the ideas till I get home), so it's annoying having to rush off to write down ideas. I usually never sit in front of the PC and think of an idea, just expand on ones that have come out of the blue.

Bardos
March 19th, 2003, 02:36 AM
I get my most wild ideas listening to music (metal, of all kinds). But, usually, most of them are not "write-able" without major changes.

pcarney
March 19th, 2003, 06:45 AM
I once got a short story about idea about a man with an evil..uhm..'johnson' while fooling around with a girlfriend. Suffice to say, I stored that one away for a more opportune time..

"Hey, honey, I just got this story idea. Ya see, there's this guy and his 'john thomas' is, like evil, and it does mean stuff...honey, honey, where ya going?!"

kater
March 19th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Ummm. yeah thanks for that :( :D Most of the time just as I'm about to fall off to sleep though some do just plop into my head - like the other day I was writing a reply on this forum and out of nowhere a pretty good idea just wanders into my brain and sets up shop :)

ceros
March 21st, 2003, 01:30 AM
I find newspaper and magazine articles can be a really great place to get ideas from. Not only are they sources of information and research, but they can give you ideas you might never have thought of otherwise.

Thankfully, I'm lucky enough to be a university student and have plenty of things to read for classes, so they help out a lot.

IaNo
March 25th, 2003, 02:51 AM
i would definetely say dreams. well, i guess dreams are not a strange place to get story ideas from at all. It's pretty common actually, but they are definetely the strangest stories (from my dreams at least) The problem is writing them down before I fall asleep.

For instance, I recently had a dream that I can't piece together but there is definitely stuff to work with:

I was buying a dog. From a truck. A big big truck. It was filled with dogs. They brought out a full grown one. It looked like a rot. But there was something wrong with its nose. There were three of them. Noses, that is. They sort of stuck out funny and were in a triangle. I inquired about it and they said that the new dogs were bred with three noses so that they would have a better sense of smell. It was created by the govt. so that they could find drugs and bodies, of course. Still, the noses looked wierd, not like noses at all. More like the spuds that will grow out of old potatoes if you leave them too long. Anyway, I thought it was cool that they did this too the dogs but I wanted a puppy. So they went back into the long truck to the puppy section and brought out a young one. The problem was that the puppy was small but the noses were the same size. Now, they really looked disgusting and wierd. The next part, which I can't explain, is that I was eating the noses out of a bowl like cereal and suddenly came to the conclusion, which I stated out loud, that "these aren't noses, they're worm spores!" At that point I assumed I would have them growing out of my own nose as well and ran to the bathroom to check, but I never made it to find out since the dream switched into something unrelated that I can't even remember. Maybe one of those pissing dreams where while you're pissing in your dream you realize that it's a dream and you get scared that you MUST be pissing in real life so you wake up to check. You're almost surprised that you aren't pissing. How did your mind do it? You were SURE you were pissing! If you were still little you would have been. Wierd how that works. Either way, the dream is ruined and you have to think up a new one.

Well, that was a rant, but a fine example. (and no I didn't piss in bed but i did get up to go.) :eek:

Jason_G
March 31st, 2003, 11:03 AM
I bought a used ouija board at a thrift shop.

That's all, you could go a million directions with that one.