PDA

View Full Version : How many projects at once?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

pcarney
March 21st, 2003, 06:55 AM
How many writing projects do you work on at the same time? I've been working on an outline for the last two months. I found I hit a bit of snag, as I try to figure out 'what next?'. In the meantime, I've had inspiration for another project. Should I put the first aside for now, to work on this new thing? Should I try and work on both? I wouldn't say I've hit a deadend with the first one, I just gotta think about it for awhile, and I'm sure somethign will come to me.

Lucky Joe
March 21st, 2003, 07:24 AM
I usually only work on one project at a time, but as my projects are almost always novels it takes quite a long time to complete them. I recently came to the conclusion that I should try and produce 'about' one short story a month, I've worked on heaps of outlines and ideas for short stories in the past but I always ended up putting them aside to work on my novels, however I think it would be benifical to me as a writer to work on shorts and try and get them published.

As to how many projects at once, I just finished a stand alone Sci-fi, I'm now reworking a fantasy trilogy, I've got several Short Stories on the go and about half a dozen novel ideas that I'm constantly jotting notes down about.

The short answer is too many.:D

I, Brian
March 21st, 2003, 02:12 PM
Do whichever feels right.

Sometimes I've worked on multiples. But with the really important stuff it's best to keep focussed. Any ideas are slipped into the important WIP (and it's sequels) ;) .

mistri
March 21st, 2003, 03:03 PM
At the moment I'm experimenting with trying to just focus on my novel WIP, to see if I can get more done.

But previously, I've juggled, with various success, a novel, and a couple of short stories, together with writing down and exploring ideas whenever I get them.

Second projects can help if you get blocked or tired of the first project, so that you can swap over and keep writing. If I make any progress with my fantasy novel, I might try writing a mainstream women's fiction book as my second project.

kater
March 21st, 2003, 04:40 PM
Unless I'm really, really involved in a piece I have others going on at the same time, normally short stories or poems but I think that doing different things helps all the pieces because you don't get mired in one plot.

milamber_reborn
March 22nd, 2003, 02:40 AM
I expand ideas whilst writing a story, but never write two story concurrently EVER. It's not a good way to write. One or both stories will likely suffer. If I'm struggling with a story I have a couple of day's break. If you really can't continue with a story, then I think it's okay to write another and come back to the other one.

Holbrook
March 22nd, 2003, 02:50 AM
At the moment I am in the dithering stage.... I have a short chapbook 40,000 story to finish, though it might double that and go into the novel size....

One story in outline.

One story creeping upto 10,000 words....

I also have a sequel to my last novel begun.... It depends on what happens over the next month or so with regard to "agent equation". (this waiting is killing me *sigh* But I suppose if they go to the trouble of requesting a whole manuscript they need to give it a good going over before they decide)

Just finished an edit of my first effort after abandoning it for two years. This needs another look through in a month or so when I have forgotten a lot of the details. So I see the mistakes not what I want to see.

So I will plod on working on one for a week or so, hit a bit of a brick wall and change tack. If one fires me up then I will stick to that one and complete it

Cephus
March 23rd, 2003, 02:07 AM
I try to only work on one project at a time, but I have a lot of ideas that are being worked on in the background and if I ever hit a patch of writer's block on one, I always have another ready to run with.

IaNo
March 25th, 2003, 02:36 AM
as many as there are. Usually about 5 or 6 at a time, working fiercely on one but still jotting down notes on the others, etc. I never have only one thing in progress. Sometimes I wish I did, but I've concluded that it's impossible. I suggest writing down at least notes for anything you think of especially if it's not the right time. You will definitely not remember when the time to work on it comes. I work on things all at once because I am more likely to come up with good ideas when I'm trying to think of other ones. I guess I don't work good with direct pressure. It has to come naturally.

juzzza
March 25th, 2003, 03:59 AM
I try and work on only one longer length project at a time but use short stories to bust through writers block or use them as an outlet or a breather away from the novel.

I like to start work on a new project as I edit an old one, that way I keep the creativity ticking over and keep all my hair on my head and not ripped out between my fingers.

If I have a good idea, I type a one page summary of the idea or plot. I have countless WORD documents saved on my PC with ideas and sometimes dialogues. Some are terrible and I have read them months later and laughed. Some are good and some could even be classed as first chapters. It's important to record ideas when you get them in my opinion.

There is no right or wrong way to write, everyone is different and you should stick to doing what you are capable of and comfortable with.