PDA

View Full Version : All who have been published, your opinion please.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

user123
March 28th, 2003, 04:25 AM
In May my first novel will be published, something I have work towards for a number of years. Yet strangely I do not feel excited about it, at least not as excited as my friends and family seem to be. I was just wondering if it were me or if all those who have gotten their work published feel this way the first time.
Please let me know how YOU felt when your first novel came out in print. Thank you.

juzzza
March 28th, 2003, 04:29 AM
Um....... ARE YOU NUTS!!!

Oh and whilst I am still awaiting my novel finding glory, I have been published a few times in magazines and so on.

Maybe it has been the build up, all the hard work, the sweat and tears and now you have achieved it... Nothing. Although I must admit I can not understand it.

Can I ask if your novel is being published by a traditional publisher? Or have you paid for the book to be published or used POD? This may provide an insight.

user123
March 28th, 2003, 04:38 AM
You could be right, it wouldn't be the first time I've been call nutz. You may also be right about the build up, after all the rejection letters and all the work it could be it just happened to fast. I don't know, I just don't seem to think its such a big thing anymore. Could be to much time in the trying and not enough reward for the work, till now I guess.
As for who is publishing my novel (title Covina), its a place called Publish America and you can find it on the net just by adding .com to the end. No its not a Publish On Demand nor do I have to pay anything to have it printed.

Peregrine
March 28th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Actually I'm not sure you are completely nuts. Although I haven't got a novel published I've experiences the same thing with short stories.

Everyone else was excited, but I just kind of felt emotionally neutral about the whole thing. It's nice to get the recognition of a publisher, but well, it was a lot of hard work and now I've another story/project/novel to think about which will be more hard work.

I figure you're likely to feel a bit more excited the first time you see your book in a store. Then of course you'll spend five minutes rearranging the shelves so that your novel faces outwards. Grin.

Congrats, by the way...

Chris

milamber_reborn
March 29th, 2003, 12:04 AM
It's great that your family and friends are excited. I'm the only person who is ever excited about my writing. Then again, the people I know would actually take me seriously if I got published.

I think I'd be elated at first, then business as usual. Getting published is just another stepping stone.

Bracken
March 29th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Hi,

This is a bit off the original topic - sorry. I really mean not to cause any offence, but I've heard both good and bad things about Publish America and wondered what your thoughts were.

Good: They provide an opportunity for new authors to get a foot in the door. They don't charge to publish your book.

Bad. They only pay a dollar advance and paperbacks are so expensive people probably won't buy the book. They don't edit the books properly. They may as well be a POD service (although I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing).

What do you think. I'm curious about submitting myself, but am not sure if I'd ever want them to publish my work. How picky is their selection procedure? Also, they say they sell books into places like B&N but I wonder what kind of sales figures they get. hmmm.

But still, congrats on getting them to accept you!

Thanks for any advice.

Bracken

user123
March 30th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Hi Bracken

You have asked about some things I just don't have the answers to. To start with I have no idea what their sales figures are with B&N or anyone else. Nor do I know how their selection process works. Yes, they only give a dollar advance, but that's not the reason I started trying to get my work published.

As to how I feel about them, remember this is my first time being published and all I really know about other publishing houses is from the rejection letters I've gotten over the years. Having said that let me say that working with them has been simple and no trouble at all. I will more then likely be able to tell you more after my novel has been out a few months. But in the end you have to go to their site and then decide for yourself if they are right for you. About the best advice I can give you is to pickup a copy of THE WRITER'S MARKET, look around and then decide who can give you the best service for your work. And above all else don't give up, keep writing, keep sending your work out no matter how many rejection letters you may get. Sooner or later you WILL find someone out there who will believe in your work as much as you do.

Lucky Joe
March 30th, 2003, 05:55 AM
Congratulations User123, that's excellent, and personally I wouldn't care if they gave a 50cent advance as long as they published my work and got it out there.

Lucky Joe

Bracken
March 30th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks User123 - I really didn't mean to sound offensive, tho I realise in hindsight that my post may have come across that way.

It's just that I visited a couple of websites where people where quite wary of Publish America - but I know that that could just be a couple of people with loud voices.

Getting published at all is great. The reason I was asking was because I've got a manuscript I've been submitting to the more traditional publishers (and getting rejected) and was wondering where else to submit to.

Thanks for your answer

Bracken

Richardb
March 31st, 2003, 12:03 AM
Publish America does in fact use print on demand, digital printing technology. Not a bad thing by any means. I did some research, and they seem to have a lot of titles, none of which seem to be available from brick and mortar stores (too expensive, not enough margin in POD publishing).
I, however, am a fan of POD --- with a few caveats. I published a book with Xlibris, and was unimpressed. They go through the motions of selecting your manuscript, but their turn down rate is 0%, a good question for Publish America is if they turn down any books. Based on the huge number of titles, they obviously take on a lot of authors.
On the up side, they don't charge an upfront fee, but that is not really the key point. POD will generally not allow an author to sell more than 20 to 100 copies (if they have that many friends...) if the publisher does not do active marketing. The high prices of POD also tends to keep buyers from buying a paperback ($18 for a trade sized paperback is steep). Anyhow, the $1 may be a way to buy legitimacy... but it does increase access to the publisher for those who can't fork out several hundred dollars.
What you will find (like I did) is that you may be just one of hundreds and hundreds of authors for them.
Some key questions to figure out how they differentiate to me would be:
1. As I said, do they turn down books?
2. Did they provide editing service? If they just took what you had and printed it... they are more of a vanity service. Editing and working with you to create a successful book is a key mark of a non vanity press.
3. Do they truly place books (not their authors, but them) into brick and mortar.
4. Did you have human interaction all through the publishing process, not just being told your manuscript is in stage x, but interaction with you about the book

Those are the keys. Not getting the dollar, or anything else. POD is not a bad thing, nor is vanity press, but it is what it is. There are POD publishers who do all 4 of the above (Equilibruim Books for instance) that really make an author proud of their work, and work with the author to make the work successful. I have never used Publish America, so I can't answer all these questions... but it looks a bit like Xlibris, who I did use once... and they could care less about my book, and did not do any of the above 4 items with me.